back on the forum

Pets, other hobbies, music, tourist corner, spear time.

back on the forum

Postby illustrator » August 25th, 2016, 7:17 pm

Hi everyone!

I haven't been active for a long time, but now I am back. I still grow species violets, although I couldn't give them as much attention as before. I have also been struggeling with a plant disease, which I could not identify exactly but which caused crowns to die. I then restarted the plants from leaves, over and over again. This is not too positive as you imagine.

There were also other things going on, most importantly the birth of our second son who underdstandably comes before plants :) And I just quit my job, I will not go into details but you'll understand that I have my reasons for this.

So now I am doing an inventory of my plants and find that the violets are actually doing rather well. I lost about 5 species including grandifolia and magungensis which were always difficult, but I still have the even more difficult Mather #21, along with about 15 others. I hardly have any cultivars left but didn't have many to start with, now I have only # 32, Pixie Pink and my own two, Wild Beginning and Wild Star. And I have some seeds from Wild Beginning x supermarket plants (I know what I crossed, but lost labels so I just have to sow them and see what comes out). Because of the past problems with the plant disease I'd rather not send any plants to other growers for a while, I hope that you'll understand this.

I still have other plants as well, most notably 7 different strains of Cryptocoryne affinis (a rare aquarium plant) and over 100 different houseleeks (Sempervivum and Jovibarba sp), as well as some "random garden plants" (which include rare things like species Daylilies, Lilium carniolium and Lilium bulbiverum).

More than enough plants to keep me busy (as if I need to be kept busy) :)

Enough about me, I am happy to see that the forum is still alive in this fb-time.

Best regards,
Paul
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

{ IMAGES }: 52

Re: back on the forum

Postby Gabi_Munich » August 30th, 2016, 12:50 am

Hi Paul,

great to hear from you! Well, everybody is busy with other things .... like work, family ... sometimes it is simply not possible to keep up with everything (and here I am not talking about you but about me).

Congratulations for your second son! That's great news happy:

I lost some species, too but that's life. Other African violets (hybrids) are ok and I did not get any diseases or pests. I have given up my little garden plot but spend now more time in the mountains (alpes) on a camping site. It is so nice to be out of the city.

Best regards,
Gabi
Gabi_Munich
Senior

{ IMAGES }: 9

Return to Miscellanea