Before you start to use the forum

Every new user should read this topic before starting to use the forum

Before you start to use the forum

Postby Laci » May 23rd, 2012, 2:47 pm

1. Every new user has to introduce her/himself. Here you can do it:
http://forum.african-violet.eu/viewforum.php?f=62

Thereby the moderators will know that your registration is not a spam registration.
Every user will be deleted after 2 weeks if the introduction is missing.

Signature Rules
Signatures may contain a link to your website, and/or personal site(s) that maybe of use to other members - no blatant advertising!
Laci
Senior

{ IMAGES }: 1

Re: Before you start to use the forum

Postby botan » May 23rd, 2012, 7:05 pm

Can I ask what is that about? What exactly do you mean with this "spam registration"? There is maximum people who can join in? :shock:
botan

Postby Laci » May 23rd, 2012, 10:50 pm

Not only humans (normal users) can registrate on the forum, there are spam registrations too. It means that they're advertising drugs or led lights any other items. You cannot see them because I delete them and their post are going to a queue that moderators should approve before it can appear on the forum. I'm continously trying to check them according to their email address, but it's very time consuming. There are bots which are searching for keywords on different forums, they're registering on the forum and trying to place their advertisements.

If someone wants to register because she/he interested in violets, then all she have to do is just to make a short introduction and thereby we will know that her/his registration is valid.
Laci
Senior

Postby botan » May 24th, 2012, 11:59 am

If there is a spam bot didn't he pop up immediately with spam? Are you prepared to renew the post if some member appears after a long time?
I mean now is easy, there are not so much members, but in future what you will do. conf:
botan

Postby Laci » May 24th, 2012, 2:55 pm

Unfortunately spam filters don't work properly, no matter how we change the settings, so we are always fighting against spam registrations. Since this is an international forum that is using English language, we are getting in sight of the spammers.
We won't renew any posts. If someone registrate on the forum, then he/she will make an introduction, this is the only criteria to use this forum. From that moment we won't deal with any security questions regarding that user. Spammer algorithms are not that clever to read the forum rules and make an introduction. Writing an introduction is not a big price for being able to use the forum.

This method is working on other forums also, thereby admins can approve registrations.
Laci
Senior

Postby botan » May 24th, 2012, 3:41 pm

It's not a big price for sure, I was just wondering. Thank you Laci! :)

Should I write a signature and introduction now? I didn't do it in the beginning but it is obvious that I'm not a spam bot (even though that I do my best with the spamming :lool:)
botan

Postby Laci » May 24th, 2012, 5:13 pm

No, you don't have to it. We are all know that you're a real user happy:
Only new members have to write an introduction.
Laci
Senior

Postby kete_de » October 29th, 2013, 2:16 pm

Hallo, I did introduce myself, but after I amended my introduction to add my town and country it vanished into thin air. I also added an entry to specific cultivars Afrikanskaja Noch, but my post never showed up. Did I do something wrong?
kete_de

Postby olivia » November 5th, 2013, 11:52 pm

Welcome to the forum! I just wanted to let you know that I can see your photo with your African violet. I can't wait to see more photos! happy03:
olivia

Postby kete_de » November 8th, 2013, 12:41 pm

Thank you, Olivia! Sadly my other violets (about twenty again) are still too young to bloom, but as soon as something resembling a bud shows up, I'll be here crowing with delight! :lol:
kete_de

Postby Linnling » November 23rd, 2013, 12:45 am

Wah...... Why there is no one from France.........
:evil:
Linnling

Return to Before you start - forum policy