what do we need most?

Ideas on Forum Topics and Categories.

what do we need most?

Postby illustrator » November 17th, 2010, 5:27 pm

Wow, progress! The topics are there but still need to be filled. Some things are still missing:

I think that we still add some of the most needed. What is not available elsewere on internet. I think that a lot of information can be found everywhere so providing information on "how to grow" does not have to be a priority, at least in English language. And local societies are already providing this sort of info in local languages (yes, i know, some countries don't have local societies).

But what I really miss is "where to get violets in the EU". So a list of nurseries that sell by mailorder (probably very few). And a sales/swap/give away/ask part for only Europeans. I know, it's winter. I'll probably not send anything to anyone for some months at least. But after that ...

So what if we start with making the following cathegories:

+ Gesneriad nurseries in the EU (also general suppliers, e.g. soil, pots)

+ For sale/swab/giveaway (from private growers) in the EU

+ Wanted in the EU

+ Events in the EU (e.g. exhibitions)

+ Links to European societies

+ Links to European webpages on Gesneriads

If we put the EU in the titles, we don't have misunderstandings when some American reads our forum (we also read their forums, why shouldn't they read ours?)
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

{ IMAGES }: 53

Re: what do we need most?

Postby Laci » November 17th, 2010, 6:55 pm

Dear Paul, that's a great Idea. Sometimes it is very hard to find the growers.
I will create a topic for this purpose.

What do you mean under Wanted in the EU? Is it a wanted or have list of different variets?

Ps.: There was a server move last week, the forum was not available, I hope every functionality is working properly. If doesn't please let me know!
Laci
Senior

{ IMAGES }: 1

Postby admin » November 18th, 2010, 12:20 am

I have an another idea. If we can vote on the name, than we could represent ourself on facebook also. I think a lot of people could find us on FB.
admin
Site Admin

Postby illustrator » December 4th, 2010, 11:16 am

Laci wrote:Ps.: There was a server move last week, the forum was not available, I hope every functionality is working properly. If doesn't please let me know!

Only thing that doesn't seem to work is a picture in the left above corner: I don't get to see this picture. Not the most important 8-)
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

{ IMAGES }: 53

Postby Laci » December 4th, 2010, 1:27 pm

I removed the picture, we need a logo that we can upload instead of PHPBB default logo.
Maybe we can create more logos and we can make a poll to vote about it.

There's one thing that isn't working. If you want to edit yout profile at USER CONTROL PANEL, then it does not load the settings. I'm working on the problem, but I still haven't found the solution, it takes more time.
Laci
Senior

Postby Galina » December 4th, 2010, 10:53 pm

I think, it needs a forum section for beginners, where they could ask for the care of violets or reproduction.
Galina

Postby Laci » December 5th, 2010, 12:21 am

Dear Galina, we have a section for this purpose:
‹ Gesneriads ‹ African violets (Saintpaulia) ‹ General Topics ‹ AV cultivation

Cultivation includes a lot of things like watering, propagating, soil mixes, etc. All we have to do is just start the topics in the Cultivation section :)
Laci
Senior

Postby Galina » December 5th, 2010, 12:27 am

Galina

Postby Laci » December 6th, 2010, 1:18 pm

Now, I'm using Internet Explorer. I can see what you were talking about. With Firefox you can see a different Header. I think I will put back the logo, until we don't have our own logo.

illustrator wrote:Only thing that doesn't seem to work is a picture in the left above corner: I don't get to see this picture. Not the most important 8-)
Laci
Senior

Postby nina » December 16th, 2010, 2:06 pm

I would suggest that we discuss specific cultivars not only in the usual way, ie submit the description and the photo, but also to give the details of our experience with those hybrids. One can find the descriptions and photos everywhere, so this is not interesting at all. But, almost nowhere one can find the description of the growth habits, blooming habits, sensitiveness to rot, pests, etc, all one's observations about the general characteristics of a hybrid. I find this very strange, because even with my very narrow experience, I can say that not all the hybrids are of an equal quality and do not behave in the same way.
On the basis of those experience, we could see how a hybrid behaves in various growing conditions, and consequently we could conclude which conditions are the best for a specific hybrid,or if there are hybrids that are excellent in many types of conditions, or hybrids that are not good whatever the conditions.

I really think this type of analysis could make this forum very distinguishable and very useful. The number of hybrids is so vast, that this type of discussion would be a sort of a good guide in that wide, wide sea that nobody can explore completely on his own.

Also, that would surely entame another type of discussion, and that is what every one of us appreciates in a hybrid, and asks from a hybrid. For some, a beauty of the bloom would be priority. For some, floriferousnes, for some something else, or the combination of characteristics, so little by little some standards of a good quality of a hybrid would be established.

I would like very much to hear your opinion about it.
nina

Postby Galina » December 16th, 2010, 7:50 pm

You are right. But the conclusions about the advantages and disadvantages of sorts can be made often not earlier than one year of observation.
Galina

Postby nina » December 22nd, 2010, 12:38 am

Yes, I think you are right, even more than one year, for complete and correct info about the complete behaviour of a hybrid in certain conditions.
But, the experience in every stage of cultivation is precious. With 10 small plants of 10 different varieties grown for the first time, one can see the differences in growth, resistance, crown formation, blooming, etc, and those infos can be useful if shared here.

ciao, NIna
nina

Postby botan » February 10th, 2012, 11:25 pm

I didn't want to open a new theme so i will write here. I have some suggestions for the forum.
First of all it would be very handy if the links open in new tab, and second it will be great if the forum have automatic resize system for large pics. Well at least the bulgarian forum that I'm in has those extras and it is very comfortable. ;)
botan

Postby maki01 » February 11th, 2012, 12:32 am

Dear botan,

I had added "Link=" BBCode last month. If you use it and paste the web adres after "=" , the link will be opened at the new page.

Home Page
maki01

{ IMAGES }: 0

Postby botan » February 11th, 2012, 1:10 am

I just tough it would be better and easier to be auto, without all these codes and stuffs. :roll:
botan

Postby admin » February 11th, 2012, 2:37 am

Dilara! Well done! I did not know about how to create such BBcode :)
I think we should write about the use of these codes. I used to use the right click and open in a new tab option, to open the link on a new page.

Botan, in phpbb 3. the links are opening in the same window. The former versions opened it on a different window, but this was changed in this version.
admin
Site Admin

Postby maki01 » February 11th, 2012, 4:23 pm

You are right Laci, I asked many PHP 3 forums and I could find only this solution.

Maybe there is more practical solution but I don't know.
maki01

{ IMAGES }: 0

Postby Valkiria » February 14th, 2012, 1:58 pm

For me is more comfortable the links not to open in new tabs. When I finish to read and answer to a topic, I just click back to the interested subforum.
I think it is the same amount of clicking: to click to shut the tab or to click back to previous subforum.
Valkiria
Senior

Return to The Idea Box