Kohleria eriantha hybrid

Kohleria eriantha hybrid

Postby botan » May 29th, 2012, 9:57 pm

I finally found the name of this so common grown old variety of Kohleria with trailing habit and reddish flowers. There is a huge mess in the internet with wrong names but I'm 100% sure that is it's true name, so you can change the "K. eriantha hybrid" labels :P
Here is mine with 6 petal blossom 8-)
botan

Re: Kerstin

Postby Laci » May 30th, 2012, 10:06 am

I have both varieties.

It's K. Eriantha, it is spread by under this name.
I have Kerstin and it has different foliage and flower. The flower rahter orange than red and a little bit different if you're comparing the shape of the petals.

We had a disscussion about Eriantha I copy it here:
"When I asked about Eriantha I got a lot of new information, I share it with you

This is an answer from Ron.

"I’m not sure that this is right. K. eriantha is not actually a valid name under current botanical circumstances. The Gesneriad Checklist (http://persoon.si.edu/gesneriaceae/checklist/query.cfm) lists K. eriantha as a synonym of K. hirsuta var. hirsuta. It has been my understanding that a range of hybrids have been labeled and widely distributed as “K. eriantha” – I’m not sure that the “true” eriantha (aka hirsuta var hirsuta) is in cultivation.

Hirsuta is a highly variable species. Some photos can be seen at the following locations – these are likely different than hirsuta var hirstua:

http://gesneriads.ca/kohler63.htm

http://gesneriads.ca/kohler38.htm

Ron"

I copy here John Boggan's reply:
"As Ron says, the name K. "eriantha" has been applied in cultivation to a range of K. hirsuta hybrids so there will be some variation. The name has usually been used for robust plants with large red-orange flowers and a red edge to the leaf but since this is a misapplied name there's really no "correct" K. eriantha.

K. hirsuta is a widespread and variable species, and apparently hybridizes with several other species throughout its range. The dark-leafed K. "hirsuta" in Ron's photo is probably 'Trinidad', which is thought to be a natural hybrid of K. hirsuta and K. tubiflora. 'Trinidad' (originally from the island of Trinidad, appropriately enough) is one parent of Hans Wiehler's hybrid 'Dark Velvet', in turn a parent of my 'Dark Shadows', making it the original source of the dark foliage in all of my kohleria hybrids from 'Dark Shadows' to 'Ruby', 'Pink Shadows', 'Tropical Night', etc.""
Laci
Senior

{ IMAGES }: 1

Postby botan » May 30th, 2012, 6:55 pm

You can click here. :lol: I was so sure... Well it seems that it is even bigger mess than I thought. :?
Can you share pictures of your Kerstin? Flowers, leaves, habit to put them together to see the differences.
What is the name of my kohleria then? conf: conf: conf:
You have so many questions and unclear stuffs in my head now. :?
You can change the name of the topic, I don't think it's very proper now.
botan

Postby Laci » May 30th, 2012, 9:46 pm

Yes, there is a big mess around this variety and American growers have different opinion about it. I think your Kohleria is so called Eriantha. It's one of the Eriantha hybrids. I think this one could eaisly self-polinated and thereby it has so many varieties. It's a very variable vartiety. Here you can see the original one:
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/s ... leria.html

The species has a different look than hybrids.

If you look at another link it is looks different:
http://www.gesneriads.ca/kohleri9.htm

Serge Saliba's plant is another looking one too:

I have the same plant as yours and we call it Eriantha too. But Kerstin bloomed for me and the flowers are different (I got it from Canada).

I made pictures about Kerstin last week, but I did not upload it because they're not too good :-) The foliage is very similar to the picture that you uploaded. There is a red margin around the leaves, but the flower is not that hybrid look alike.

We have to wait until mine varieties start to bloom again, and I can put the two varieties onto one picture. I think we don't have to rename our varieties now.
Laci
Senior

Postby botan » May 30th, 2012, 10:21 pm

They look the same to me with Kerstin.
Serge's plant is absolutly the same as mine. I think he call it like that just because everyone does.
I'm not sure that you show is the original one. Your quotes says that eriantha is synonym of hirsuta var. hirsuta, the same name of the variation and the specie means that this is the most common form so it must look something like that:
http://www.dollyyeh.idv.tw/Kohleria_hir ... 06aggs.jpg
And also it doesn't look very trusty to me, look why, and here too
If you look at another link it is looks different:
http://www.gesneriads.ca/kohleri9.htm

In this link they say that it was under this name but they think it is other kohleria (wrong label)
botan

Postby Laci » May 30th, 2012, 10:56 pm

Another picture from Kartuzgarden:

Kerstin's flower are not that symmetrical and the petals not that bright red. It's more orange. Look at the upper two petals. It curles backwards on my picture and on kartuz's picture.
Laci
Senior

Postby botan » May 31st, 2012, 7:17 am

Now I see, also the spots are connected in lines. :)
botan

Kohleria eriantha hybrid

Postby Valkiria » July 20th, 2012, 10:47 am

This is hybrid of Kohleria eriantha (syn.) which I have.
Maybe it is something else, but this is the name it came with to me.

Near Sunshine and Rongo:

It is planted in the same pot with Queen Victoria. Look what difference in leaves colour! Queen Victoria has dark, chocolate leaves.

And here it is near episcia My Precious. Remark the size of flowers between kohleria hybrid of K. eriantha (syn.) and episcia My Precious.
Valkiria
Senior

Re: Kohleria hirsuta var. hirsuta

Postby Polgara81 » July 20th, 2012, 12:19 pm

Beautiful colors and beautiful plants Diana !!

Valérie
Polgara81

{ IMAGES }: 0

Postby botan » July 20th, 2012, 11:00 pm

I observe that when the flower is freshly opened the dots are separate by light background and the upper petals are curved to the back.
botan

Postby Valkiria » August 1st, 2012, 1:17 pm

Botan, your flower is very much alike with my picture of hybrid eriantha in that topic.
Valkiria
Senior

Re: Kohleria eriantha hybrid

Postby botan » June 30th, 2013, 10:05 am

To close the discussion about the name I like to say that I've made a mistake. When you have both plants the differences are clearly visible.
And to renew the discussion about the plant itself... Well it's a tough plant but seems it needs rest too. I've made experiment last year, and I didn't put it in dormancy and now I have very poor rate of blooming (for now). There is a little chance to produce the buds later but I'm not in very optimistic mood about this.
botan

Postby botan » June 15th, 2014, 10:23 pm

I found this image in one vintage french horticultural journal
http://ia600607.us.archive.org/BookRead ... =n25_w1231
Could ours be K. 'Sanguinea'? conf:
botan

Postby Gabi_Munich » August 19th, 2015, 12:28 am

This is my version of kohleria eriantha

Gabi_Munich
Senior