Wick watering

Re: Wick watering

Postby maki01 » February 10th, 2011, 1:43 am

Nina, isnt panty hose too thick?

I'm using nylon stockings as wick which are made of polyamide . It works well.
maki01

{ IMAGES }: 0

Postby Galina » February 10th, 2011, 1:30 pm

I tried once stockings too. It works well. Image
Galina

Postby maki01 » February 10th, 2011, 1:53 pm

Galina,
At hydroponic system, we should let the reservuar empty for few days. You write the same thing for wicking system. What should be the period?
maki01

Postby Galina » February 10th, 2011, 2:24 pm

I do not do dry land in the firm deadlines. When the water ends, I did not immediately fill capacity, give a little rest. Maybe a couple of days (2) the plant is an empty vessel. Sometimes I forget and it lasts longer.
Galina

Postby maki01 » March 28th, 2011, 1:28 pm

Galina,

Could we apply wick watering to cuttings? As you know I will have too many leaves in a few days :)
maki01

Postby Galina » March 29th, 2011, 1:02 am

Dilara, Since the leaves are in the greenhouse, they do not need the wick. I water my leaves in greenhouse rare.
Galina

Postby Laci » March 29th, 2011, 10:59 am

I'm also not wicking the leaves. I also put them under the dome if they're starting to wilt. If I have the babies big enough, then I seperate them and I can apply the wick watering on them.
Laci
Senior

{ IMAGES }: 1

Postby sanity » December 28th, 2011, 3:11 pm

I need some help with wick watering.
How do you fertilize your wick watered violets?
If i put fertilized water in the pots, the fertilizer precipitates on the surface of the water and on the wick. Like a thin film on the top of the water.
I use special african violet fertilizers like Vitax, Chempak.
I tried it lower concentrate too, but the result was the same. (1 spoon fertilizer to 5 liter water. The spoon is the fertilzer's spoon.)

What concentrate do you use? And how often fertilize your violets?
As I recognized, my violets needs more fertilizer, but I don't know, how I should do that.
How do you grow so nice and strong plants?

How often do you change the soil? I use 50% perlite for wick watered violets, but it has no nutrient. Nowadays I have weaker, smaller plants than previously, with no wick watering and no perlit. sad:
sanity

Postby Valkiria » December 28th, 2011, 3:59 pm

For my wick-watered violets I use 50% soil and 50% perlite. I fertilize almost at each filling of the reservoirs with water. And I have also used for a long perioud of time Chempack. I have not noticed the filter on the surface of the water, or maybe it was, but I haven't paid attention to it.
Sanity, just fertilize further. And wash often the reservoirs, or change them more often, so the excess of the salts will not damage you violets.
Maybe the water you are using contains some bad elements? You have to test. Try to boil the water which you are using.

I am trying to change the soil to my plants once each 6 months, or no less then once a year. Good luck!
Valkiria
Senior

Postby sanity » December 28th, 2011, 7:01 pm

Thank you, Valkiria! Your advice was very useful for me!

I have one more question: What concentrate do you use? On Chempak's packing is the recommended dosage: 1 measering spoon fertilizer to 1 litre water. Is it good for wick watered violets or should I put it to more water?
sanity

Postby maki01 » December 28th, 2011, 7:35 pm

If you boil the water , you could lose some of the oxygen and useful elements in water. To gain the oxygen again, you should transfer boiled water cap to cap many times, to get oxygen from air again.

I searched Chempack at Google. It is organic fertilizer. Most of organic fertilizer are not suitable for wicking. You are right sanity, the active elements in some of organic fertilizer are collecting at the surface. I lost many plants for this reason. Constantrated fertilizer at the surface burned the roots. Or if it is oily fertilizer , wick could not absorb it.

I think, we should use chemical fertilizer at wicking system.
maki01

Postby sanity » December 28th, 2011, 8:34 pm

How can I find out that the fertilizer organic or chemical is? I look at the packing, but I can't find it.
The fertilizer percitipates on the surface of the water in the watering can too after few hours (half / one day).
sanity

Postby Valkiria » December 28th, 2011, 8:38 pm

Sanity, if you are not preparing your violets for the show, then dissolve 2 or 3 or 4 times the fertilizer in the reservoirs with water.

Maki, but I read many-many times, that nothing is compared with the benefits of an organic fertilizer.
The roots can be burned with any fertilizer if it is too concentrated.
Valkiria
Senior

Postby sanity » December 29th, 2011, 12:54 am

Thanks!
How do you mind the 2, or 3, or 4 times? 4 times after the other and then break? Or 2-3-4 times in a month? Or in a year?
sanity

Postby maki01 » December 29th, 2011, 4:15 am

You are right valkiria , organic fertilizer is the best for enviroment. I'm using them especially eatable plants and violets. But not at wicking system.

If i will use organic fertilizer at AV's, I'm shaking well then mix it with water and shake again and then use directly to soil. I talked to producer of organic fertilizer. He sad that " When you mix the organic fertilizer with water, you have to use it in two days and shake well each time"

I was the member of project group of organic fertilizer at Turkey two years ago and I tried the organic fertilizer at different conditions. Indeed we are very crowded group whom are against to using all type of chemicals which destroys the nature .

I'm using chemical just for the sake of AV's vick watering and growing plants at soilles media, hydroculture :lool:
maki01

Postby Valkiria » December 29th, 2011, 9:25 am

Thanks for the details, Maki! I will take this advise into consideration.
Now I realize: I am not filling the water in the reservoirs, instead I pour the water with fertilizer on the surface of the soil, and leave the excess of the water which flow through the holes into the reservoirs. After this, the excess of the water from the reservoirs is taken by the wick to the roots, the next days.

Sanity, I meant diluted 2-3-4 times. :P
On Chempak's packing is the recommended dosage: 1 measuring spoon fertilizer to 1 litre water.

Take 1 measuring spoon not to 1 litre, but to 2 litres, or to 3 litres - test it, how the plants react.
Valkiria
Senior

Previous

Return to Cultivation