Cyclamen mites

Cyclamen mites

Postby illustrator » June 11th, 2011, 8:50 am

Hi everyone,

I wonder what you do against Cyclamen mites and which treatments have been successfull.

P
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

{ IMAGES }: 53

Re: Cyclamen mites

Postby admin » June 11th, 2011, 9:08 am

Paul, just water the soil with Actara. Actara will be adsorbed by the roots, so it will spread in your plant. If mites are start to suck the cells of the plants then they will die. If they are in the soil they will also die because Actara kills them.
admin
Site Admin

Postby illustrator » June 11th, 2011, 11:36 am

Thanks, will see that I get this product.
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

Postby Galina » June 11th, 2011, 1:55 pm

Unfortunately, it's not quite true. Actara is insektecid. Mites will be less, but they will not disappear entirely.
When dealing with ticks need to apply acaricides.
Acaricides are most often contacts (requires a minimum of three treatments), but there are systemic, penetrating into plant tissue.
Of the contact, I would recommend Vertimec. It is both an insecticide and acaricide.

Systemic drugs for my plants, I do not use, but I know one. Said to be very good.

http://www.maag-garden.ch/de/produkte/spomil-special.html
Last edited by Galina on June 11th, 2011, 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Galina

Postby maki01 » June 11th, 2011, 2:43 pm

Galina,

Some of my violets are infected too. I think it is cyclamen mite, is it true?

At he begining it was only two babes, but one month later the violets near to infected violets was effected. I isoloted them from the others.

I applied a chemical which has abamectin as an active element.
maki01

{ IMAGES }: 0

Postby illustrator » June 11th, 2011, 3:16 pm

This looks very similar to my infected plants. Fortunately I have my plants spread over several rooms so it is unlikely that all get infected. Unfortunately, a rare (and very difficult to replace) variety is affected, which is why i have to take action very soon.
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

Postby Galina » June 11th, 2011, 4:02 pm

Dilara, it is more similar to the impact of excessive irrigation. Especially the first photo. The second photo came to me, please, e-mail in its original size.
Galina

Postby maki01 » June 11th, 2011, 4:15 pm

OK Galina I will sent photo with original size at night. I'm at work now.

If you mean excess watering, I'm sure that the reason is not excess irrigation. Only the plants which are infected were near to each other on the same table.
maki01

Postby Galina » June 11th, 2011, 4:52 pm

Yes, it can be a bacterial infection. But for its development conditions should be created. Most often it is excessive watering. May still be hot or cold.
Where is this table? Whether there is there a draft or heat? What you have now the weather?
Why are you sure that watering is not overweight? Are the plants on the wick or normal watering?
I still tend to over-watering. During infection process often begins with old leaves. In this case the process began with the growing point.
"Rust" on the ground (first photo), too, speaks of excessive watering.
Galina

Postby Galina » June 11th, 2011, 5:29 pm

I also would like to clarify that such excess watering. This is not just a lot of water, it's a lot of water to a particular plant. If the plant has a weak root system (recently been transplanted or it is a young plant still), it can not absorb more water. Neighbor plants may have the same size externally, but have a stronger root system, so the same amount of water can produce different effects on these two plants.
Galina

Postby illustrator » June 11th, 2011, 9:38 pm

In my case I have definately NOT overwatered the affected plants (I sometimes overwater plants, I admit, just not these).
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

Postby Galina » June 11th, 2011, 9:53 pm

Paul, have you ever seen a mite on them? It would be interesting to look at the photos too.
Galina

Postby maki01 » June 12th, 2011, 1:36 am

Hello Galina,

I'm sure because, I'm using thin wick as you said before and only 1 cm long and the soil at the surface is near to dry. The pot size 6x6x8 cm.

The brown, "Rust" material on the photo is perlitte coloured by fertilizer which contains Fe, Mg, Zn ...

They are near to east window and not directly contactin to sun light. The sun blind and white curtain is closed. It is approximately 25 degreees C.

If it were over watering or weak root system as you know they would infected by fungus called Cylindrocarpon and Root Rot would appear. I lost 75 violets last summer from Root Rot. It had started from the old leaves.

However , I will the repot infected violets and check the roots .
maki01

Postby maki01 » June 12th, 2011, 2:00 am

When I saw the first infected plant, I searched what was going on. It is written that 3 condition could be the reason.

1- Too much light

2- Too much fertilizer

3- Mite

Light could not be the reason, then I stopped to give fertilizer but it was still same. I don't like to use chemicals. As you know, my dog son, Findik could touch them. When it relased the other violet near to first infected one, I started to use chemicel at one violet and he started to give healty leaves.

Here , it is.

There are still infected leaves on it. I didn't cut them.

maki01

Postby maki01 » June 12th, 2011, 2:06 am

I like this web site, it helps me to decide what is going on.

http://www.steverd.com/violets/leaves/leaf-id.htm

Leaf #24, 25, 26 seems same with my problem.
maki01

Postby Galina » June 12th, 2011, 2:48 am

I looked up the photo in original size and I can say with certainty that the cause - excessive watering.
Yes, thin cord delivers less water than thick. But apparently, the root system of this plant is poorly developed.
If you remove a very cautiously earthy component of the pot, you'll see that the roots are very few.
Perhaps you put them on the wick after the transplant. Do not, we have to wait a week or two.
Plant in second picture coped with the problem. He has root should be better. The leaves are damaged due to the fact that the point of growth has suffered previously. Young leaves will grow up normal.
Traces of a mite, I do not see it.
Galina

Postby maki01 » June 12th, 2011, 12:26 pm

Dear Galina,

This violet is a trailer. It was cutting. First i put the babes in a small pot. When the roots completly surrounded the soil, I transfered a bigger pot at the picture 4-5 monts ago. I didn't remember when i add a wick .

Last night or early this morning, I repot it. Roots are very healty. Soil is covered completly with roots. During the repotting , roots and soil get out completly. Soil shape was same with pot. None of the soil fall down. I transfered the violet a bigger pot.

Galina, please belive me . The problem is not over watering for this case . From now one , i will check first rooting system and excess watering.
maki01

Postby Galina » June 12th, 2011, 2:27 pm

OK, of course, I believe. In this case, the disease. But I do not believe in the mite.
Galina

Postby maki01 » June 12th, 2011, 4:51 pm

Galina it is started with the two babes which I bought from local supplier. When I get them, there were some yellow powder on them.

I asked "what was it for ?" She said " I thought they were infected and use powder, but there were no infection, do not be panic, they are healty now. The reason was over fertilizing." And later I learned that she had used chemical powder for bird's insect.

I belived her and didn't use fertilizer for 30-40 days. Thanks to my luck, there were no place near to my origanl babes. I put them on a table 4-5 meter away from them. And as i said before same apperance had started to other violets on the table. I carried them to another room.

That is my story :)
maki01

Postby Galina » June 12th, 2011, 7:09 pm

Under torture, gradually opens the truth. :)
Reaction to the poisoning manifests itself in violets about 5 weeks. Overdose of fertilizers is not here.
Perhaps a reaction to the powder, who burned the growing point.
Patients only its plants or yours too? Show photos of other victims, if it is not difficult.
Galina

Next

Return to Diseases and Pests