Cyclamen mites

Re: Cyclamen mites

Postby admin » July 6th, 2011, 12:49 am

I'm really curious, what product could it be :)

Is it Pick Salami? :-D Okay, we have a lot of products which maybe could be popular somewhere else.
If it is not Pick Salami maybe one of our Alcohol Trade mark (Unicum, Palinka, Tokaji...) or the Rubik cube? Okay, I'm just kidding :)
admin
Site Admin

Postby zappie » July 6th, 2011, 10:43 am

Well, it might not be so popular among african violet growers. BiotechUSA sports nutrition.
zappie

Postby maki01 » July 6th, 2011, 12:43 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You are right Laci, I had announced it with same sentence. Maybe Turkey will never be a real member of EU. I'm so sorry about the result of last election.
maki01

{ IMAGES }: 0

Postby Laci » July 14th, 2011, 9:06 pm

I was at the garden center today. I asked about an acaricid that can be absorbed by the roots. Only 1 of them were available without any certificate, this 1 was dismissed from the market so it is not available any more.

All of those chemical which can be absorbed by the roots are not available until you go for an 80 hours education which cost around 200 euros.
After you take an exam you will be able to buy those chemicals.

I asked about why it is not available for anyone in Hungary because in other countries people can buy it without any restrictions.
They said that other Eu countries will be able to buy those chemicals until 2014 and then they will also have to take an exam if they want to use them :violent

I'm so angry about it!
Laci
Senior

{ IMAGES }: 1

Postby maki01 » September 29th, 2011, 6:17 pm

I'm so sorry , I found cyclamen mite at the cuttings today an I take video. Yo may watch it. I hate them :violent :violent :violent :violent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uiv9VFwERsQ
maki01

Postby Laci » September 30th, 2011, 12:08 am

Dilara, are you using Vertimec? You can eliminate them. Don't give up the fight :)
Laci
Senior

{ IMAGES }: 1

Postby maki01 » September 30th, 2011, 12:13 pm

I will start to use Envidor Laci...
maki01

Postby Elena » September 11th, 2012, 6:13 pm

Hi, I wanted to share my experience with the Cyclamen mites and how to fight them.
First, I looked for other reasons why the leaves on some of my violets became small and crowded in the center (I guess everyone went through it - hoping it was excess light, or wrong fertilizer, etc.).

But then I got myself a magnifier lens (30X and 60X), and saw the mites on the suspicious plants. I used a combined insecticide/acaricide which I bought in Austria - they can be found everywhere, from Interspar to OBI or Bauhaus/Baumax. One is by Compo, another is by Scotts. The active ingredients are Thiamethoxam, Abamectin and Pyrethrine. They are of natural origin and are not considered dangerous for humans or animals. The spray by Compo even has added leaf fertilizer - to help in the healing process.

I sprayed the affected plants every 5 days for 3 times, and now, 1 month later, they look ok. The leaves were not damaged by the spray.
I feel much better now, for I have a cure for the dreaded Cyclamen mite!
Elena

Postby Christiane » September 11th, 2012, 11:51 pm

I also had cyclam mites on my plants. Then I sprayed all my plants with Vertimec 3 times every 5 days. It initially looked very good and the plants grew again and formed again flowers.

But after a few weeks back I noticed that some of my young plants grew worse again.

A friend told me, that she had also cyclam mites and tried to fight against them with amblyseius cucumeris, that's are killer mites.

So i wanted even try them. Because it was cheaper, I bought amblyseius cucumeris and amblyseius barkeri combined in sufficient quantity bought for 200 m² - I have around 500 - 600 plants, lots of them still young, or even some leaf cuttings. This mites I have let loose on my plants within 2 weeks and in a very short time realized that all plants growed much better again and flowered. I didn't noticed before that they no longer really growing well because there wasn't damaged plants - but now i see the diffrende - the plants are much more vital and looks very healthy. After 2 weeks I found a totally wonderful difference.

These two Amblyseius mites feed on thrips larvae, soft-bodied mites and spider mites. They can go a long time without food, and can also feed on pollen. But they didn't damage the plants.

I am thrilled with the success, and that all my plants now show at its best. I can not yet say whether the soft-bodied mites are not coming back. But the killer mites normally live and multiply, if they find food! But you can use these amblyseius mites preventively. I decided to make this now once or twice a year. They cost less in bulk quantity sufficient for 200 m² (which is much more than I actually need), - included shipping around 15 euros. My plants are doing very well - I had never such wonderful growing and flowering plants.

Today, I think that at before this time determined infect individual plants of mites had to be. Only then, they have only a whole long time later increased so much that they have attacked my entire inventory!

I don't want to take poison any more. Back then I had very bad cough for a few weeks and I've read, even if it was based on natural acaricide that this poison attacks the thyroid.

The use of beneficial insects is not dangerous, they are not noticed - because I keep my plants in our home - and people, animals and plant are not harmed at all. The leaves and flowers of the african violet thereby suffer no damage!
Christiane

{ IMAGES }: 11

Postby Elena » September 12th, 2012, 12:21 am

Christiane, I am happy for you and your plants! I have also read that the cyclamen mites are tricky - some of them may be left over, and they multiply again when the conditions are right.
Where did you buy the killer mites? I have much fewer violets than you (about 70), but I would hate to have the mite infection again! And I agree, using chemicals is always unpleasant.
It is a good idea to use the killer mites preventatively, I hope I'll be able to order them (I live in Croatia).
Elena

Postby Christiane » September 12th, 2012, 12:40 am

Hello Elena, i bought the killer mites in germany at: http://www.nuetzlinge.de.

The link to "my" mites is here:
http://www.nuetzlinge-shop.de/oxid.php/ ... ttype/list

But I've read that they can send the beneficials only in Germany. I suppose because of the Customs Regulations - are probably very strict.
But maybe you can ask the company. Or maybe you can find a dealer in your country. I'll keep my fingers crossed!
Christiane

Postby Elena » September 12th, 2012, 12:49 am

Christiane, thank you for the link, I'll definitely try.

Good luck with your violets!
Elena

Postby Christiane » September 12th, 2012, 1:06 am

Thank you, Elena. I wish you good luck with your violets too! great:
Christiane

Postby avisrapax » September 12th, 2012, 3:56 am

Given my problems again and again with mites I am going to try these predatory mites! I hate chemicals and I worry about using them, so I think I will be much happier knowing that I'm doing things in a 'safer' way =) Thank you for letting us know how well they worked for you :mrgreen:
avisrapax

Postby Valkiria » September 12th, 2012, 2:27 pm

That's cool information!
Still, I have more questions, what's happening when they will eat all the thrips and mites? Are they dying after a period, when there is no need of them?
Valkiria
Senior

Postby Christiane » September 12th, 2012, 3:32 pm

Yes, Valkiria, after terminate their food, they can live a short without food, then they die. They live in one period only around three weeks and if they have no more food, they can't no longer proliferate, so that they become extinct in a few weeks. Therefore, if someone suspect to have cyclam mites again, he/she should rather release precautionary new terminator mites on the plants - i will do it.

Now i have another "good mite", that eat spring tails and larvae of fungus gnats. There were some of them in the young plants pots and i don't wanted to work with poison again and i was curious to try it. I have them since one week and now i can't see much of the parasites - less fungus gnats and no spring tails. I hadn't much of them before - but now i think they are all away. This good mites can live around four month. But that's good - so i don't have any problems around the winter with this bad fungus gnats - i don't like them. And in the last years i had every winter a problem with them, so that i had to take poison for my plants to get rid of them.
Christiane

Postby maki01 » September 13th, 2012, 1:20 am

Dear Elena,

Thiamethoxam, Abamectin and Pyrethrine are toxic elements and chemical like the others. You should be careful when you apply inside.
maki01

Postby Valkiria » September 13th, 2012, 2:26 pm

Christiane wrote:Yes, Valkiria, after terminate their food, they can live a short without food, then they die. They live in one period only around three weeks and if they have no more food, they can't no longer proliferate, so that they become extinct in a few weeks. Therefore, if someone suspect to have cyclam mites again, he/she should rather release precautionary new terminator mites on the plants - i will do it.

This is good! But if they eat pollen, don't they harm the flowers? Or they could eat just for a short period of time pollen, and die anyhow?

Now i have another "good mite", that eat spring tails and larvae of fungus gnats. There were some of them in the young plants pots and i don't wanted to work with poison again and i was curious to try it. I have them since one week and now i can't see much of the parasites - less fungus gnats and no spring tails. I hadn't much of them before - but now i think they are all away. This good mites can live around four month. But that's good - so i don't have any problems around the winter with this bad fungus gnats - i don't like them. And in the last years i had every winter a problem with them, so that i had to take poison for my plants to get rid of them.

I already cannot imagine my hobby with Gesneriaceae without spring tails. They are part of the hobby :D
How are they called, these "good mites" which eat spring tails? Have a link or picture?
Valkiria
Senior

Postby Christiane » September 13th, 2012, 3:04 pm

The amblyseius mites eat polls just for a while - they need to live longer animal protein - so they can't live a long time only with polls. They don't harm the blossoms or the plants. My plants are flowering beautiful and you can't see any damage. Bee eats polls two and don't damage the plants with that too. I think, it's the same with that amblyseius mites. It looks like that!

The other mites, that eat spring tails and larvas of fruit- and mourning mosquitos are Hypoaspis miles. You can watch them on the following link:

http://www.nuetzlinge-shop.de/oxid.php/ ... 8.86080773
Christiane

Postby Elena » September 13th, 2012, 8:29 pm

maki01 wrote:Dear Elena,

Thiamethoxam, Abamectin and Pyrethrine are toxic elements and chemical like the others. You should be careful when you apply inside.

Thanks, I know sad: , that's why I'm happy there are better solutions!

Although, I have to say, these chemicals helped me put a permanent end to the invasion of my ficus benjamina by red spider mites.
Elena

PreviousNext

Return to Diseases and Pests