Cyclamen mites

Re: Cyclamen mites

Postby maki01 » June 13th, 2011, 11:29 am

Only 4 of my babes was infected or illed or something else. The photos were belong to mine Galina.

One of the babe which come from local supplier. The other one had dried.

maki01

{ IMAGES }: 0

Postby Galina » June 13th, 2011, 12:01 pm

Yes, it is mite. Look at the growing point - how it is deformed. Is it possible to compare with the first and second photo? In this case, the deformation is typical for mite-borne defeat. Amazed at not only the young leaves, but all the rest.
Summary:
You got infected plants sprinkled with powder. Powder burned the growing point. Mite be coming from the poisoned unpalatable plants for fresh and tasty. :(
Galina

Postby admin » June 14th, 2011, 12:28 am

Galina, thank you for the correction. I think I will use the suggested chemical for sure, if I have any mite problem.
admin
Site Admin

Postby HankaP » June 17th, 2011, 10:22 pm

Dilara, I am convinced that it is Cyclamen mite (Strawberry mite, Tarsonemus fragariae). First, young leaves in the center are stunted, deformed, fragile, in an advanced stage is the center of plant gray-brown...

This is my photo - I am the plant thoroughly dissected and examined - I saw mites through a 60x magnifying glass (but I did not shoot - always were hiding from the light under the leaves).

HankaP

Postby maki01 » June 18th, 2011, 1:11 am

Thanks for sharing Hankap. I think it's typical view of cyclamen mite. What are you using ?

Is there any biological insecticide which is effective on mites ?
maki01

Postby maki01 » June 19th, 2011, 4:49 pm

I hate mites.
Unfortunately the infected violets are increasing rapidly. I don't know what I'm going to do. I read many documents. There is one common suggestion , take a leaf and throw it away :( :cry: :( :cry:
maki01

Postby Galina » June 19th, 2011, 10:52 pm

Dilara, do not despair! All pass through it.
Find acaricide (insektetsid not help, the mite is not an insect) and processed according to instructions. Can only be disposed of very severely affected plants, which are difficult to handle carefully because of the twisted leaves.

Kiron
Vertimec
Apollo

In the future, place the rule - all newly arrived plants and leaves are always a few times to handle potential pests.
Galina

Postby Laci » June 20th, 2011, 12:12 am

I checked my violets on the weekend. I found this one! Is it because of mites??
This pot is on wick watering.
Laci
Senior

{ IMAGES }: 1

Postby maki01 » June 20th, 2011, 1:18 am

I'm using acaricide ALGAMEK 1.8 EC. It's similar to Vertimec Galina.

Indeed I'm very careful when the new plants come in. I replace it far away from the others, generally different room at least one month. I believed her, that was my fault. Even they are far away 3-4 meters from the others, I was not careful. Maybe I touched and carried the mites with my hands.

I only disposed one violet. Most of the first party are infected. I carried them to my bedroom and use chemical. !'m so sorry Galina, they were very near to bloom....

Ness' Orange Pekoe...

EK-Dykhanie Grozy

My lovely Quilting Bee :cry:

And the others...

maki01

Postby maki01 » June 20th, 2011, 1:27 am

And I asked to same question to my self , if i would take a leaf which seems healthy, how am I going to be sure that the leaf is not infected? If it is, what will I do?
maki01

Postby maki01 » June 20th, 2011, 1:30 am

Laci , I think it is mite :(
maki01

Postby maki01 » June 20th, 2011, 1:41 am

Whole day, I checked my violets and applied chemical and read to much knowledge about cyclamen mites.

Cultural control: Immersing infested plants (pot and all) into water heated to 43 C degree for 15 minutes kills cyclamen mites without harming most plants ( http://www.entomology.umn.edu/cues/inte ... itesc.html )

My nephew is agricultural engineer . He has doctora degree on Cultivating Plants. He said applying the chemical on one side will be enough, and 5 days is a good period for second application. But from eggs to mature takes 11 days. So we should apply one more time.

I hope, I couldn't lose my starters. I will try to keep them.

I know, this night mites will eat me in my dream or I will eat them :lol:
maki01

Postby Laci » June 20th, 2011, 9:45 am

I hate cyclamen mites, I will kill them all!! :x :lol:
Laci
Senior

Postby Galina » June 20th, 2011, 10:33 am

Laci, I think it is not mite! Point of growth has deteriorated from excessive moisture.
Dilara, EK-Dykhanie Grozy - waterlogging too.
But, as the mite is, the need to treat all plants in the same room.
I have experience with water 43 degrees. Despite the fact that I used two thermometers, the water was too hot. Growth points were burned, and then grow again. However, the mite has been won (defeated). Very careful with this method!
Last edited by Galina on June 20th, 2011, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Galina

Postby maki01 » June 20th, 2011, 12:02 pm

Dear Galina,
If water logging means too much water, it is not true. If you look at the left side of EK-Dykhanie Grozy , you will see that the soil is seperated from the plastic cup. That means, the soil is dry.
maki01

Postby Laci » June 20th, 2011, 12:13 pm

Galina, so maybe I don't have mites and the problem is too much humidity?
I'm using wick watering, so it can happen, but the others are also on wicking, but I cannot see such deformation on other violets.
Anyway, now I'm a bit affraid of mites so I will by vermitec to be sure that I kill insects in the soil :-)
Laci
Senior

Postby maki01 » June 20th, 2011, 12:32 pm

Laci,
I'm checking the pile , feather ( I don't know botanical terms) . If they seem longer than normal and erected, it could be mite . It seems as if they were saying " Help mee, mites are biting. " :lol:
maki01

Postby Laci » June 21st, 2011, 2:26 pm

Galina, Vermitec is not available here. They suggested me to use Sanmite. I have this chemical at home, but I don't know it is good against cyclamen mites? I know it's not sure that I have mites, but for a prevention I would like to treat them with something.
Laci
Senior

Postby maki01 » June 21st, 2011, 3:38 pm

Dear Laci,

If the active element is abamectin, you can use it for cyclamen mite. All suggested chemicals with different names have 80% abamectin in their formula.

Sanmite does not contain abamectin, its active element is PYRIDABEN .
maki01

Postby Laci » June 21st, 2011, 5:15 pm

I googled on it also. It says:
"Abamectin and Sanmite are effective acaricides for twospotted spider mite on greenhouse cucumber and tomato."

It is said, that sanmite has a very long lasting effect 50-60 days so it is enough to use it only once!
I don't know whether it can be adsorbed by the roots or not. The guy said me that I can water the soil with it, but I'm not sure about it. Maybe it is usful only if you apply on the surface of the violets, and it is not absorbed by the roots.

I found a Hungarian article it is says that "Flumite, Magus and Sanmite" acaricides are not adsorbed by the roots. So they suggest to use: Pyranica 20 WP. I don't know whether it is available or not.
I don't want to spray my violets with any acaricides because it leaves white layer on the leaves.
Laci
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Diseases and Pests