pollinating / how to get seedpods

pollinating / how to get seedpods

Postby illustrator » January 1st, 2011, 6:59 pm

Laci wrote:Paul if you have any experience how to cross the varietes please share with us. I also like to know about more how to pollinate a violet.
I'm trying to make my first own hybrid, but I don't have any seedpods at all :) The only only one which gave me seeds is Chirita tamiana.

I have experience with getting seedpods, but hardly with planned cross-breeding :mrgreen: I guess that the experienced growers of new varieties carefully bring pollen from one flower to another with a tiny paintbrush. I didn't try this yet. Occasionally fungus gnats and other insects might pollinate a flower, like this you suddenly get a seedpod as a surprise. Some violets also seem to self-pollinate, S. shumensis quite regularly forms seedpods without my help. But I found another trick which seems to work for self-pollinating.

In nature African violets are pollinated by certain species of wild bees. These bees have a special technique to collect pollen, called "buzzing" (please forgive me if I don't remember terminology correct). You can see bumblebees do the same in rose-flowers in the garden. The bee uses it's flight muscles to make it's whole body vibrate, when it sits on a flower. Also the flower vibrates and this causes the pollen to get lose. Pollen lands on the bee and the bee collects it from it's fur. Some pollen ends on the stigma (= tip of the female part of the flower), which is self-pollinating and when the bee visits the next flower, some pollen ends on the stigma of that flower as well (cross pollinating if the flower is on another plant).

We don't have the correct bees in Europe for pollinating violets (would be interesting to see if any native insects visit an African violet: maybe I'll try this springtime :D ). But we do have something that buzzes: a shaving machine :mrgreen: I found that if you hold a shaving machine against the flower stem and briefly turn it on, the buzzing shakes enough pollen loose that most of the time a seedpod is formed. In modern cultivars it might make sense to remove the corolla (flower-leaves) as soon as it stops looking nice, in species and in older cultivars this usually falls of by itself ("droppers"). The corolla can otherwise stick to the forming seedpod and you get a deformed seedpod as a result (but seeds develop normally in a deformed seedpod, so you can also leave it be and just see what happens). It takes a long time before a seedpod is mature, count on half a year at least. Only remove it from the mother plant when it starts to turn brown, otherwise the seeds might not mature enough.

So it is quite easy to get seedpods to try sowing violets and see how it goes. The real difficulty is to know enough of genetics to try planned hybridising and to prevent accidental pollinating while you try something more planned.
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

Re: pollinating / how to get seedpods

Postby illustrator » January 1st, 2011, 7:04 pm

Note that some double flowers might not have functional male parts as these are turned into flower leaves. In this case you have to search for a flower which has still some male parts left. Usually there is some variation between flowers on the same plant.
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

Postby nina » January 4th, 2011, 7:08 pm

I have a beautiful light blue noid, full of blossoms, so I pollinated all of the blooms by pollen of one...I just crushed the polen sacks by scissors, took some fine polen on my finger, and very gently brushed the stigma pads of other blooms. I did that about 3 weeks ago and left for school holidays. When I come back home in about 5 days, I will see if there is any result...of course if my noid is still alive, after my 3 week absence.
nina

Postby Laci » January 4th, 2011, 11:50 pm

Dear All,
I had no too much time recently, but I will read again the instruction! Thanks a lot! If I'm doing the pollination I will try to take some photos to illustrate it. I won't plan the pollination. I just choose 2 of them which are recently blooming to see how it is forming a seedpod.

I think I will put it to the AV project topic. This will be my first project! :)
Laci
Senior

Postby maki01 » January 5th, 2011, 2:01 pm

I tried many time to pollinate, but i coudn't success. As you know, I'm trying to collect pollens from "old man" and try to polinate "young lady" . But it doesn't work...

I have never seen an opened pollen sacs naturally. To pollinate by vibration method , there should be an opened sacs. Is it true?
I know I will success one day, I will see seedpods on my violets too :)
maki01

Postby tonusue g » June 28th, 2011, 1:18 pm

We have had some success. last year we used a paint brush to collect pollen and then brushed it onto a different coloured plant and we were very lucky and had a seed pod grow. it took 6 months for it to mature and then we planted the seed in April and we have some very very small leaves forming and we hope they will grow properly and form some nice plants. it will be great if they all survive so that we can see what colour we have produced - fingers crossed

Regards

Tony and Sue

we have attached 3 photos. our 1st seed pod,

what we are using at the moment to grow seeds (this tub is actually a grape container from our supermarket and it is sat on a south
facing windosill)

our seedlings
tonusue g

Postby Laci » June 28th, 2011, 1:51 pm

Tony and Sue, which varieties did you cross?
Laci
Senior

Postby tonusue g » June 28th, 2011, 3:13 pm

unfortunately as we were still very new to african violets the cross was between two NOIDs which we had purchased from a local garden centre and it was only really a trial to see if we could produce anything.

The plants were actually white pollen crossed to pink plant and we are really interested to see what the new flowers and leaves will look like.

Now that we are a bit more expereinced we are trying to cross some of our named species.

regards

tony and sue
tonusue g

Postby Laci » June 28th, 2011, 3:22 pm

Tony & Sue,
it's a good experiment to see what characteristics will be dominant or not. I'm really looking forward your crosses :)
Laci
Senior

Postby maki01 » July 3rd, 2011, 4:13 pm

Great work tonusue g, congratulations...
maki01

Postby tonusue g » July 4th, 2011, 7:00 pm

Hi Everyone

We have brought a new toy - a USB computer microscope and we thought we would share with you some of the pictures we took from the microscope. A pollen anther, pollen itself and also the stigma and its tip. we were facinated by the pictures. hope you like these

regards

tony and sue
Image Image
Image Image
tonusue g

Postby illustrator » October 26th, 2011, 9:36 pm

I squeezed anthers between the nails of my thumbs and then touched the stigma with my (now slightly yellow) tip of my nail. Tried twice and looks like 2 seedpods are growing. Doesn't seem too difficult to do :mrgreen:
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

Postby Timi » July 10th, 2012, 7:30 pm

As I wrote in another Topi, I have to cross (some day). Mom: Today's Frog Island, Father: Buckeye Sedutress.
The port is disconnected cause of the flower, and a toothpick, and I opened it there were a lot of pollen.....
Last year I tried cross-breeding, the core has grown nicely, but came to the powdery mildew and Violet died. :oops: :oops: :oops:

The pollen brush I put two pieces of the pistil. Now waiting for something to happen.

Mommy- Ma's Frog Land

Papa- Buckeye Sedutress

I do not plan anything ahead, but first, I will be a default. If I am successful and grow the core, then I open it in a separate forum topic in which I'm going to count.

I studied genetics, true man, not violet. Both the concepts of inheritance and the thread I am aware of that dominant and recessive, but I do not know what the ibolyáknál flower color is recessive and dominant than the leaves and do not know. But I think two colorful leaves can be variegated leaves no children.

In the meantime I found here, which is the dominant inheritance and recasszív saintpaulia. :lool:
Timi

Return to Hybridising