Make your seeds visible

Make your seeds visible

Postby botan » December 29th, 2012, 7:58 pm

As we know gesneriad seeds are very tiny and the biggest problem when the sowing begin is that we don't see them, which leads to bad things like too many seedlings in too little pot or a huge cluster of seedlings somewhere in the pot surrounded with a few lonely. Here I have perfect examples with P. taminana seedlings illustrating what I'm talking about, and that are examples how your seedling should NOT look like.
Too many:
Not only too many but in clusters too:
Depending on the cluster position you can even imagine how my hand was moving back then. :mrgreen:
Even it is quite funny to end up with gazillion seedlings it is not good when you can not control the situation especially when you live in small apartment, or you sow seeds from your very own super-duper hybrid. So I had to think a way to make the seeds visible to easy my life.
And here are the few easy steps which I go trought before sowing after all the thinking.
Except the obvious things like seeds and soil you will need:
1. Small glass/plastic container/tube with or without a cap, but with no curves
2. A medicine dropper - it is not necessary, but it is easier with it
3. Talcum powder

First of all get some of the seeds, not all (unless you want to end up with around 100 seedlings at once) and put them in the container.
Secondly take a small portion talcum with the dropper and dust it over the seeds. You know how to use it with liquids, with the powder is absolutely the same.
Then shake energetically a little bit to be sure that the talc is all over the seeds and there are no stuck to each other seeds
After that sprinkle them over the soil with a smile. You will be able to see the white seeds in the background of the dark brown soil.
And in the end spray a little water over them to be sure that they will stuck to the ground. They will became invisible again but you will be calm that you sow them as right as you can. ;)
And if you thought that my seeds looks kind of odd is because I've sowed mine, and to make the pictures I used clay lumps. :mrgreen:
I’ve already tied it several times and it is not harmful to the seeds and the seedlings. I have no observation what will happen if the talc is left on the seeds without sowing them but it has drying effect so I guess it will only take the excess humidity.
botan

Re: Make your seeds visible

Postby Laci » January 4th, 2013, 4:13 pm

Oh, I know this problem. Sometimes I even can't see where I spread the seeds.
Laci
Senior

{ IMAGES }: 1

Postby Valkiria » January 5th, 2013, 1:12 am

Botan, what a great job you've done! Thank's a lot for sharing!
Valkiria
Senior

Postby maki01 » January 7th, 2013, 4:38 pm

Thank you very much botan, good job happy03:
maki01

{ IMAGES }: 0

Postby botan » January 7th, 2013, 8:06 pm

Glad you like it! Hope it will be as helpful as it is for me. :)
botan

Postby botan » February 6th, 2013, 11:05 pm

Well... I still wait for that moment when I will sow just the right amount of seeds, which as I can see it won't be soon :mrgreen: , but until then to show you the result of that kind of sowing:
In my defense I would say that there were seeds on the brown spot too, but they didn't germinate,thankfully. :lol:
You are looking Sinningia speciosa hybrid seedlings by the way. :D Around 300-400 of them... :roll:
botan

Postby Laci » February 7th, 2013, 12:59 am

Wow, so many, nice green seedlings. I think soon you need to make some place for them :-)
Laci
Senior

Postby Valkiria » February 19th, 2013, 12:38 pm

Juicy-juicy! happy03:

Wait for the seeds you have just bought form the Gesneriad Society. Me and Laci haven't obtained much result from sowing them. :(
So, pay them much more attention.
Valkiria
Senior

Postby botan » February 19th, 2013, 2:46 pm

I couldn't understand the second part of your post, Diana.
I have never ordered from there. I don't have registration in the Gesneriad Society, and as I understood only the members had permission to buy from them.
botan

Postby Gabi_Munich » February 20th, 2013, 1:15 am

Botan, thanks for sharing your experience with us. Did you also try with fine sand instead of talcum powder?
Gabi_Munich
Senior

{ IMAGES }: 9

Postby botan » February 20th, 2013, 9:18 am

No, I haven't, but when I think of it, the fine sand won't stuck on the seeds. They will mix and than will be even harder because you won't see what you are sprinkle sand or seeds. Also the talcum is much brighter. :)
botan

Postby Valkiria » February 20th, 2013, 12:48 pm

Botan, I thought you have bought the seeds from Gesneriad Society, but you have them from somewhere else, I suppose. :)
Valkiria
Senior

Postby botan » February 20th, 2013, 6:38 pm

Unfortunately, I can't afford to pay the membership, and I am forced to use and search for different vendors.
Those seedlings are from seeds that friend of mine made.
botan

Postby Laci » March 3rd, 2013, 5:50 pm

This year I haven't extended my membership with the gesneriad society. I like them really much, but I need to save some money :-)
Laci
Senior

Postby botan » March 4th, 2013, 8:43 am

Yesterday I found that this doesn't work with small and fairly smooth seeds, they still were invisible. There is some logic in that but I haven thought about it. :mrgreen: With small I mean seeds under 1 mm, mine was around 0.5 mm.
botan

Return to Hybridising