how do you grow out seedlings to first flowering?

how do you grow out seedlings to first flowering?

Postby illustrator » February 3rd, 2013, 5:49 pm

Hi all,

Now that I have a bunch of seedlings I wonder how to grow them to first flowering in the least possible space. I am thinking about buying a propagator like the one for jiffy plugs and either grow them in jiffy plugs or in small pots. A whole lot of small pots "open" on the window sill is probably a lot of work because they dry so fast (watering twice daily?) and will also either fall down or be dropped by pets/my small son ...

Would it make sence to put a heater onderneath the propagator? I am afraid that plants grow extra slow in my home because of low night temperatures (15'C) ...

I wonder how others solve this (the seedlings are just germinating, so I have some time to think about the next step) ...
Paul
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

{ IMAGES }: 53

Re: how do you grow out seedlings to first flowering?

Postby botan » February 3rd, 2013, 7:41 pm

To be honest there isn't any chance for "not getting too much space".
First I use seedling trays, then when they grow a lot I repot them in small plastic cups from 80 ml, and after they flower they receive repoting in a 160 ml cups as a gift if they are worthy. There are various sizes of seedling trays, so probably you can use only them, and if the whole tray is too big to fit somewhere I cut it in smaller pieces. Those with squares are better space savers.
You may put something white or light colored between the seedlings pot and the window to reduce the sun heat. confused:
botan

Postby illustrator » February 3rd, 2013, 9:48 pm

How do you water many 80 ml cups so that you don't accidentally drown some?
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

{ IMAGES }: 53

Postby botan » February 3rd, 2013, 11:18 pm

I have never drown any of them, actually the most dead seedlings that I have were in the seedling trays because they are kind of curved and not all the nests are reaching to the bottom of the water tray well.
They stay in big trays and when is water time I fill them up and after several hours I remove the excess water with a hose but with the time I learnt how much they need and usually I don't need hose. But that is only temporary, until I establish my collection. I don't recommend that. I would use a wick watering with one big reservoir.
botan

Return to Hybridising