My first hybrids - Mac's Just Jeff x Pixie Pink

Re: My first hybrids - Mac's Just Jeff x Pixie Pink

Postby Valkiria » January 18th, 2013, 12:20 pm

The 3rd and the 9th look a bit like wasp, or it's just seen in the pictures like that?
I am also interested in the leaves - are they all just green?
Valkiria
Senior

Postby avisrapax » January 18th, 2013, 9:56 pm

Mac's Just Jeff is actually a semi-double - though it usually only has one or two small middle petals =)

The leaves are all green - mosaicism only shows up in the first generation if you cross two mosaics together. I've already got some crosses of these to each other so maybe I'll have some little mosaics soon!
avisrapax

Postby botan » January 19th, 2013, 11:01 am

Super! I would like to see baby mosaic. ^_^
Diana, I guess it's from the angle that the picture is taken, I don't see any wasp looking flowers.
botan

Postby avisrapax » January 19th, 2013, 1:14 pm

I think the 'wasp like' look might just be because some of them have a very wide-but-short look which many wasps seem to have. I think that is just because Mac's Just Jeff is a very wide, fat flower and Pixie Pink has quite delicate, tear shaped petals - so some of the offspring have really odd shapes! The one which is third down on the left hand side always does produce very tiny, thin top petals, though, it's one I might keep as it has now bloomed three flowers with a kind of fantasy on the outer petals which is impossible to see in the photo =/

Botan - I can't wait to see if I can get some! I just hope some of my other mosaics come into flower soon as I would like to cross with various ones and get a wide range of flower types =)
avisrapax

Previous

Return to Hybridising