before 1960?

before 1960?

Postby illustrator » December 24th, 2012, 9:57 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone have varieties which are hybridised before 1960? I have Number 32, probably a leaf of White Madonna and possibly Neptune and Botan has probably Renee, but which other very old ones are still around?

Paul
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

{ IMAGES }: 53

Re: before 1960?

Postby botan » December 25th, 2012, 10:19 am

I have one very very old variety but unfortunately I don't know the year. It fits perfectly in the Renee's description, but unlike him, it has a bit different girl leaves
It looks like that (pic from the net):
And it can be found under the name Голубой Дунай (Залесский)/ Goluboi Dunai (Zalesskii), but I red somewhere that this was just an artificial name.
Which year was found the stick-tite mutation? This can be helpful. I've red that Holtkamp were it's founder but I didn't see any year.

PS: I just found the eventual year - 1981
botan

Re: before 1960?

Postby illustrator » December 25th, 2012, 11:45 am

Stick-tight (abbreviated sticktite) was first marketed in the early 1960's by Holtkamp (Optimara). But doubles also don't drop flowers. So only in single flowered (and some semi-doubles) it is possible to distinguish droppers and stick-tights.

Stick tight is genetically dominant, at least some stick-tight plants are heterozygous for "dropping".

I have a leaf of a very old variety (white double, girl leaves, leggy) which could be White Madonna. Maybe I get a certain White Madonna in springtime to compare both.
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

{ IMAGES }: 53

Return to Other discussions on african violets