ex-yu violets

ex-yu violets

Postby illustrator » December 27th, 2012, 6:49 pm

Today I visted the botanical garden of Ljubljana. They always have some plants for sale, and I was very happy to finally see Episcia cupreata in the sales-corner. Because of our forum I was getting interested in these plants, and I was already wanting to ask them for a cutting, now I didn't even have to ask :mrgreen: . I am happy that I can try how it does in my home. I talked to one of the gardeners and then he got a E. lilacina from "somewhere behind". Of course I also bought this one.

I also obtained some violets. They are no-names, but they are grown at the botanical garden for 15-20 year at least. So from before Slovenia became independent and before EU-time. Because of this it is very that they are much older varieties from the Yugoslavian time. Of one I already had a leaf: it is a plant which resembles White Madonna and which is also grown by the botanists at the biotechnical faculty in Ljubljana. I have no idea about the others, curiousity got the better of me - again :mrgreen:
Last edited by HankaP on February 24th, 2013, 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Episcia lilacina... :-)
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

{ IMAGES }: 53

Re: ex-yu violets

Postby illustrator » January 19th, 2013, 12:03 pm

I asked the botanical garden for further information and they kindly replies that they grow these no-name varieties since the late 1960's. So they are over40 years old. I have now 5 or perhaps 6 different ones from them. One is the above mentioned double white, another is single violet/blue with white edges. For the rest I don't know, have to wait untill they flower.
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

Postby illustrator » May 25th, 2013, 10:16 pm

I got one more to flowering: it is a pink single/semidouble pansy. It is too early to tell if it is a stick-tight, but I suspect so. This would mean that it's a vintage no-name which does not really differ from modern comerceal varieties.

Another one forms buds and might just be the violet/blue with geneva edges again, meaning that I bought two plants of the same variety. Will see in the coming weeks.

The double white with girl leaves did not root after replanting. This sometimes happens in my collection, I think my home is on the cold side in our long winters. Besides this refusing-to-rood crown I have a plantlet grown from a leaf. It will take a while before it is anything worth showing.

One of the pots was a "pile" of leaf-grown plantlets. Most light green, but one in between was a middle-green one. I repotted one of the light ones and the darker one. Since there was only one darker one, I suspect that it may be a sport. Now that it is a bit bigger, it starts to look like a leaf-chimera, but not a very contrasting one. Interesting stuff.
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

Postby illustrator » May 26th, 2013, 10:40 pm

A vintage violet, but also a no-name. Is it worth keeping it?
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

Postby Laci » June 1st, 2013, 12:17 am

If you like it and have place to grow, then it's worth to keep it.
I hope, I will manage to have some vintage violets soon.
Laci
Senior

{ IMAGES }: 1

Postby illustrator » June 1st, 2013, 9:06 pm

I am not sure yet if I like it, but I actually don't like the majority of cultivars. Historical interest might be a good enough reason to keep growing a certain plant, but for that it has to be visibly "historical", or at least different from both the shop varieties and the modern large ones ...

The next one is opening it's first flower: semidouble star, whitish with broad blue edges I think. Two or three more to go.
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

Postby Valkiria » June 1st, 2013, 11:08 pm

Paul, is it with girl foliage? It is not understandable from the picture.
If not, then it is not too remarkable from a lot of others from the groceries.
Valkiria
Senior

Postby illustrator » June 2nd, 2013, 9:01 am

No, it has normal boy foliage and I agree that it is not a very outstanding plant.
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

Postby illustrator » June 2nd, 2013, 10:27 pm

The next one ...
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

Postby illustrator » August 3rd, 2013, 10:10 pm

This is a sport of the former one. There was one slightly darker plantlet in the pot and (could have expected it), this produces solid dark blue-violet flowers. they are slightly larger than average, but not spectacularly big, but they have frilled edges. More interesting are the straight anther-stalks: the anthers are standing wide apart. The original variety also has such split-looking anthers.
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

Postby illustrator » May 18th, 2015, 9:32 pm

Same plant as two posts earlier. I have it growing vertically, on the wall, so this picture is a view from straight in front (not from above). It is growing amazingly symmetrical, but the flowers go up!

In the end, I kept three of the plants from the botanical garden, this one, it's solid blue sport (which wasn't stable: I think that it's doughter plant will flower again lighter) and the double white. The others are not distinguishable from those from the garden shop.
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

Return to Other discussions on african violets