Can you please help with my violet?

Can you please help with my violet?

Postby thevioletwontbloom » June 26th, 2015, 5:09 am

Hello friends! I am getting frustrated with my violet. It has not bloomed since I bought it over a year ago. I water it from the bottom when it gets dry and it is in northern exposure. Any advice or ideas? Thanks so much!!
thevioletwontbloom

Re: Can you please help with my violet?

Postby Gabi_Munich » June 27th, 2015, 11:22 pm

In most cases it is because the plant does not get enough light. At least, that is the experience with mine. My windows are facing East or West and the plants are right next to the Windows/or on the window sills. They bloom regularly. The ones sitting in shelves only bloom when sitting under artificial lighting.
Can you move your plant to a place with more exposure to light?
Gabi_Munich
Senior

{ IMAGES }: 9

Postby thevioletwontbloom » June 28th, 2015, 2:22 am

Thanks for replying! I only have windows that face north and my violet is on the window sill. I don't have any artificial lighting. What kind of artificial lighting do you use?
thevioletwontbloom

Postby illustrator » June 29th, 2015, 1:14 am

My guess is that it is or has been drowned. Too much water at any one time makes that there is no air, no oxygen at the roots. The roots die and the upper part of the plant survives only on the reserves it had from before. If it is an important plant for you, I would suggest to gently take it out of the pot and put the soil away, so you can see how the roots are. Then repot it in fresh soil. But it may be quicker to re-start it from leaves. Fortunately the leaves from violets with poor roots tend to be excellent for restarting: they are adapted to receive very little moisture from below, so they hardly whilt when you cut them of.

It doesn't really make a difference if you water from the bottom or the top, and also not if the top layer of the soil is dry. I prefer to lift up the pots to feel how heavy they are before watering. The weight (= how much water is in the soil) is for me a far better indication than anything else.
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

{ IMAGES }: 53

Postby Birgitt » June 29th, 2015, 10:14 am

I find, the pot is too big. If the pot is too big, the plant is occupied only to form roots and does not blossom. The ideal pot size for Usambaraveilchen should amount about to one third of the plant. For example: with a plant with a diameter of 18 cm would be the ideal size 6 cm.
An attempt would be worth to try it once with a smaller pot.

A very useful link :)

Repotting African Violets
http://www.violetshowcase.com/repot.htm
Birgitt

Postby Delph » June 30th, 2015, 7:35 pm

Quote Birgitt. .. Usually it is grown, or have you noticed that your violet is slow?
Delph

{ IMAGES }: 0

Postby Gabi_Munich » June 30th, 2015, 9:17 pm

thevioletwontbloom wrote:Thanks for replying! I only have windows that face north and my violet is on the window sill. I don't have any artificial lighting. What kind of artificial lighting do you use?

I am not an expert for lighting, as far as I know people use different stuff - LED, plant lamps. I have those long white tubes from the building supplies store.

And as you see from the different answer there are different reasons why it does not bloom. It is hard to say from this one photo.

You can also check here what Doctor Optimara is offering as reasons:
http://www.optimara.com/doctoroptimara/ ... 20900.html
Gabi_Munich
Senior

{ IMAGES }: 9

Return to Other discussions on african violets