Cameras and photography

Cameras and photography

Postby Laci » August 8th, 2011, 1:13 pm

I created this topic, to help each other with camera and photography questions.
Which camera are you using?

I'm using Panasonic Lumix, but I'm planning to buy a new or used camera maybe next year. I'm thinking on buying a canon bridge camera. Do you have any suggestion which camera could make beautiful pictures with bright, clear colours?
Laci
Senior

{ IMAGES }: 1

Re: Cameras and photography

Postby tonusue g » August 8th, 2011, 2:36 pm

Hi Laci

Great topic and one which we have pondered and discussed many times. We have 2 cameras: Fujifinepix S8000fd which is approximately 3 years old
Samsung WB650 which is approx 1 year old

3 members of our family have the same Fujifinepix camera we have and all have a similar problem with colour tones - particularly blues and purple (the 2nd picture of the purple AV from the Samsung camera is accurate) , the actual image quality is fine.
we attach 5 images from each camera so that you can see the difference, but personally we think the Samsung has the best and more accurate colour tones and also picture quality, so our recommendation would be Samsung WB650

Tony and Sue (UK)

Fujifinepix S8000fd
Image ImageImageImage

Samsung WB650
Image Image ImageImage
tonusue g

{ IMAGES }: 44

Postby Laci » August 8th, 2011, 3:28 pm

I can see the difference clearly. I also have problems with sun. If the object of the picture receives some light, then you can see white noise. I think it is the name of the phenomenon. We can see it on the photos also that you linked.

What about Canon cameras? I'm thinking on canon because of these pictures! The colors looks so vibrant and live. The pictures are very detailed.

Laci
Senior

Postby maki01 » August 8th, 2011, 3:39 pm

I have Canon Power Shot A1100 IS and I have problem with the colour blues Laci. I doesn't reflect the correct colour.
maki01

{ IMAGES }: 0

Postby tonusue g » August 8th, 2011, 4:18 pm

The pictures are great. Do you know which Canon Camera they were taken on ?? We have taken some great close up shots with our camera and yes the light really does effect the result that you get in the photo as well as how dark or light the background is. The examples that you have posted all have fairly dark backgrounds so the flower is more pronounced. Sometimes we have found it is better to take a shot a little further away and then crop the picture to the size that you want.

I would love to bribe, torture or beg to the person who owns those 3 loverly plants for a leaf - they really are stunning.

Oh well - we will keep snapping and we are about to update our photo gallery and also post a swap list that we have.
Would be good also to hear what other members think.
tonusue g

{ IMAGES }: 44

Postby Laci » August 8th, 2011, 4:30 pm

The photos taken by Canon IS 2 and 3 if I remember correctly.
More pronounced is an excellent description about them.

We have a topic for swapping, just put your list there. Maybe I'll also have something to swap in September.
Laci
Senior

Postby sanity » September 1st, 2011, 11:41 pm

tonusue g wrote:The pictures are great. Do you know which Canon Camera they were taken on ??

Thanks, The first and second photos are mine. They were taken on Canon S3 IS.
I have problems with colours too, but this camera has several settings (full manual mode). I use several white balances and I take photos on several colour modes on every photo and I choose the best coloured photo. Sometimes I use Photoshop to correct the colour (but NOT all the pics).
sanity

Postby Laci » September 27th, 2011, 1:44 pm

Diana, are you using lights when you're taking photos?
My photos seem to be so dark. I do not use any additional light source. I don't know who can make my photos more vibrant and live.
Laci
Senior

Postby maki01 » September 27th, 2011, 3:43 pm

I'm not using extra light Laci, i set auto flash on. My best photoes are taken at night. With flash , leaves seem very shiny.

But when i try to take photoes of blue variety, flash is generally off and i'm using day light with shadow settings.

When I see "Di", İ'm automatically thinking as if Dilara is written :lool:
maki01

Postby Laci » September 27th, 2011, 4:24 pm

I have problem with flash. My photos are getting overexposed and sometimes you cannot see anything just shining :)
If I take photos on my balcony, then the photos are ok, but in my apartment the light is insuccifient maybe..
Laci
Senior

Postby Valkiria » September 27th, 2011, 5:16 pm

I take photos on a white background all-around. The room must be with light, but without direct sun rays.
My camera is Sumsung.
I do not use additional light sourse, at least not now. Maybe in winter, when there will be dark weather.

Laci you can try to illuminate a little bit your dark pictures in any picture program.
Valkiria
Senior

Postby Laci » November 6th, 2011, 3:36 pm

I changed my camera! I'm using now an old cannon powershot A510. There is a huge difference!!! Wow, such a vibrant color!! I'll show you....

Laci
Senior

Postby Laci » January 9th, 2012, 5:31 pm

Diana, I could not remember what camera are you using. I remember to samsung, but I'm not sure about it. Could you tell me the type of your camera?
Laci
Senior

Postby maki01 » January 9th, 2012, 6:48 pm

Really great photoes Laci. I have Canon IS A1100, but it is not succesful at true colours especially violet. Would you write your settings ?
maki01

Postby Laci » January 9th, 2012, 9:33 pm

On the top of my camera there is a button where you can adjust the settings.
Just turn around the control button, and you can choose a setting for plants. (There are other setting for example: snow, fireworks, underwater, indoor etc..)

Do you see the SCN title on the button? Just choose that and you can choose the plant mode there.
Laci
Senior

Postby Valkiria » January 10th, 2012, 12:48 am

Samsung GX-10 is my camera. Here I found some review:

Samsung GX-10 comes in two kits: one is body only, and the other includes an 18 - 55 mm lens. Here's what you'll find in the box:
The 10.2 effective Megapixel Samsung GX-10 camera body
Samsung F3.5-5.6, 18 - 55 mm autofocus lens [lens kit only]
SLB-1674 lithium-ion rechargeable battery

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/samsung/gx10-review/

I use the default parameters most frequently. Just sometimes when I really need the pictures and the weather is very bad, then I am adjusting the diaphragm and exposition. But I really prefer a good natural light, without direct sun rays, no flash, and just set the white balance.

I use large sheets of white paper all other the area where I am getting the pictures.

And I also use a tripod for pictures:

Valkiria
Senior

Postby maki01 » January 10th, 2012, 1:18 am

I can't look just now, batteries are charging. At my Canon, ". I tried at Foliage Mode, it was unsuccesful. I will try again :D

If I'm using tripod, i'm setting to manula mode (P) which i had programmed before (with ISO 80) .Depending on indoor light, i'm taking flash on. But especially to get violet colour as posssible as correctly , i'm not using extra light. I'm setting the light position cloudy even indoor light is well :)

One of professional cameran says that " Go away 3-4 meters from the object, and zoom it . Then take photo with full flash. You could catch true colour. "

Mode was automatic , and the result was good enough for me :D

maki01

Postby maki01 » January 12th, 2012, 5:49 pm

Thanks dear Laci, i tried Foliage mode again, this time i succeded :D

maki01

Postby Laci » January 12th, 2012, 6:00 pm

Wow, the pictures are much more better now :-)

I think I'm falling love with an Olympus camera (Olympus E-PL1). It makes beautiful sharp pictures.

Here you can compare the pictures taken by different cameras.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/studiocompare.asp

Laci
Senior

Postby maki01 » January 12th, 2012, 6:07 pm

Good link Laci, thanks.

I don't have extra money for camera. I have to do my best with my existing cameras Kodak and newer one Canon :D
maki01

Next

Return to Other discussions on african violets