Buying violets online

Buying violets online

Postby Elena » May 6th, 2012, 6:10 pm

Hi! I am new to this forum. I am originally from Russia, but have been living for a number of years in Zagreb, Croatia. In Moscow I used to have a huge collection of african violets, there's dozens of flower shops and online options for buying grown plants, starters or leaf clippings there, mostly by American and Russian selectors. Can anyone please advise me of such online stores with delivery within Europe? I'd be very grateful for such information, I miss my collection. Here I can mostly find the ïndustrial" variety sold in supermarkets etc.

Thanks!
Elena

{ IMAGES }: 0

Re: Buying violets online

Postby Laci » May 7th, 2012, 3:50 pm

Dear Elena, we have a topic, for swaps and sellings. You can swap or buy leaves from most of us.

I can recommend you Galina, Mila, Diana, Lola, Gabi_Munich, me or the Dibleys as well. There are many option here too.
I'm just wondering at those beautiful Russian shows and how big is that community.
Laci
Senior

{ IMAGES }: 1

Postby Elena » May 7th, 2012, 8:43 pm

Dear Laci,

Thank you for your reply. Do you send leaf cuttings by post? How does it work?

If you find it interesting, please see the site of an online violets shop in Moscow (www.fialkovod.ru), it has a huge selection of Russian and American selectors items (to see the selection click on the heading В ИНТЕРНЕТ-МАГАЗИНЕ in the top left corner. They sell both cuttings and flowering plants and send them by post all over Russia, plus Ukraine. Unfortunately, they do not send them to other countries. I wish they did! Do you know if something similar exists in Britain maybe?

In Russia african violets are extremely popular, they are an affordable luxury for people who live in small apartments in big crowded cities and who can satisfy their "gardening" urges this way. The shows are held in every major city, you can buy cuttings and grown plants there, there are violet-lovers clubs, forums, specialty stores. I have wanted to put in a special shelf for violets in my apartment, with automatic timed lighting, and I was amazed at how many photos, ideas and suggestions are posted in violet lovers blogs!

And everyone agrees that once you are started, you just cannot stop! :))

My violets are now between bloomings, when they start flowering I will post pictures of them and of the lighted shelves.
Elena

Postby florasandi » May 8th, 2012, 12:26 pm

I can recommend Dibleys. I would suggest that you drop them an email to check they send to Croatia because it is to yet in the EU.

Best do luck! happy03:
florasandi

Postby Laci » May 9th, 2012, 12:01 pm

We're sending leaves by our national postal service. I have leaves and babies to, but some of them needs some more time to grow.
My other love is achimenes! I really love them, but I'm growing sinningias, petrocosmeas, kohlerias and lot of other gesneriads. I'm not a big fan of Russian varieties. They're huge and ruffled, and I have only a very limitated space in my small appartment, so I prefer smaller ones. Okay, there are many Russian varieties that I cannot live without it, like Moroznaia Vishnia. :
Laci
Senior

{ IMAGES }: 1

Postby Elena » May 9th, 2012, 4:10 pm

Thank you for your reply. You have A LOT of flowers at home! I always seem to run out of space.

I agree, some of the Russian ones are too big, I try keeping them in smaller pots to keep them in check. I also find that American ones are sometimes more stable and dependable in terms of color. BTW, Morev is known for more compact plants, so I plan to get me a Moroznaia Vishnia too! He also has some new ones out, they are in the Fialkovod catalogue (you can sort the violets in the catalogue by selector).
Elena

Postby Lola » May 10th, 2012, 11:27 am

Hi Elena.
In Europe difficult found special AV shop for buy online .. We make exchanges between AV Clubs and their members or buy via forum. Lots of interesting various AV have Romania club ( Valkiria) and Galina ( Germany). In Estonia we buy AV in Russia if we have chans send it with courier .
Uslik nick name in forums. My list http://www.senpolia.ee.tn/
forum http://www.senpolia.eu
Lola

{ IMAGES }: 10

Return to Other discussions on african violets