blue-white stripes NOID

Postby Gabi_Munich » April 15th, 2015, 12:36 am

could not resist this one in the garden shop, nearly looks like a chimera

Gabi_Munich
Senior

{ IMAGES }: 9

Re: blue-white stripes NOID

Postby illustrator » April 15th, 2015, 9:29 pm

What makes you think that it's not a chimera? Anyway, that's easy to test: if you propagate it from a leaf and if it is a chimera then you should end up with nearly all solid blue flowering plants :D I agree that it's pretty love:
Last edited by illustrator on April 16th, 2015, 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

{ IMAGES }: 53

Postby Gabi_Munich » April 16th, 2015, 12:19 am

I think it is not a chimera for pure logical reasons
- bought it for just over 2 EUR
- it was sitting with lots of "normal" African violets in the same tray
- there were several of the same type in the tray, some had only a thin blue band. So mine may just have had different dosage of light/warmth and therefore the coloring could differ

But you are right - the only way to know is to plant a leave and wait what will happen. I can try ;) Would be nice to have a chimera.
Gabi_Munich
Senior

Postby Gabi_Munich » May 15th, 2016, 11:28 pm

starting to bloom again

Gabi_Munich
Senior

Postby Gabi_Munich » June 4th, 2016, 4:55 pm

more flowers appearing happy:

Gabi_Munich
Senior

Postby Basti30 » December 18th, 2017, 3:57 pm

your plant is an Optimara Chico :) I have these, namely :lool:

Best regards Basti
Basti30

{ IMAGES }: 0

Postby Gabi_Munich » December 18th, 2017, 7:55 pm

Basti30 wrote:your plant is an Optimara Chico :) I have these, namely :lool:

Best regards Basti

Hi Basti,
I do not agree that this plant "is" an Optimara Chico. I agree that it may look very similar to Chico but you cannot conclude that it is this variety for 100%. When I bought it the pot was not giving any information of the producer or name. So it could perhaps be the said variety but I'll never be sure if it really is. So I keep it as a NOID.

I stick to what AVSA says on their website in the FAQ section:
"Question: We've been having a discussion in a group about whether it is possible to definitely "name" an unknown violet based on characteristics. I've maintained that you cannot, because plants may bloom differently under different growing conditions. Even if you make the best educated guess possible, it is just that, a guess. I am positive I've seen an AVSA position on the issue of NOIDs (plants with no ID) in the magazine, but can't recall where or what exactly was said. Does AVSA have a position on the matter? I'd love to share that with our group. I searched the FAQs but couldn't find a post on this. It would be a good one to put though, I'd think.
Answer: It is almost impossible to accurately identify an African violet that doesn't have a name tag or other type of identification (a NOID, or a plant with no ID). The African Violet Master List of Species and Cultivars (AVML) and the First Class computer program list more than 16,000 different named African violets and their descriptions. Depending on your NOID, you could find a few dozen that match the characteristics. You might even be able to narrow it down to four or five. But then you would need to choose one of them, and it would be highly unlikely that you would choose the correct name. Besides that, the AVML has less than half of the named African violets. Even if you found a photo that matched your plant exactly, the odds are great that it is not your plant. So many African violets look the same, and they all grow differently under different growing conditions. It is definitely a mistake to try to identify a NOID in this manner. There are already far too many misidentified African violets out there now. (Just ask anyone who has done classification and entries at an African violet show.) Please don't add to the problem. Joe Bruns, AVSA Registration Chairman."

I've seen several times that people ask to ID their African violet without any info on it (which is not possible if there is not a single piece of information e.g. on the hybridizer)--- and then they start handing it out as a named variety. So I prefer not to name NOIDs.
Gabi_Munich
Senior

Postby olivia » December 19th, 2017, 9:19 pm

I wouldn't say that it's only black or white. We should always be very careful about labelling. It's not only about leaving a NOID as a NOID. We shouldn't be too confident even when we have names for them. One of our named violets may be mislabelled by the person who gave it to us, or it could be a sport. Or the sport may have a name and we could use it.
I don't agree 100% with not trying to identify a NOID. It's not quite finding the right name out of 16,000 different named African violets. You don't have so many varieties in Germany. As an experienced collector one may be good at identifying some NOIDs. Plus he/she may know the violets in other people's collections in the same area as he/she is. I mean, I kind of used to know the varieties that were present in the Romanian collections. And when new collectors started mislabelling them, it was easy to help them. Well, not always, but there are varieties which have a unique look. I don't understand why people start finding names for NOIDs when they are not too familiar to them. conf:

Anyway, I'm not expert on chimeras, but I do think your plant is a chimera. I've found this short description of a chimera: Each petal has a center stripe and a stripe on each side. I would appreciate some help in this area. Maybe the reason I'm not good at propagating chimeras is that I don't even know what a chimera is. :oops:
olivia

Postby Gabi_Munich » December 19th, 2017, 11:41 pm

Olivia, I agree that there is not only white or black, like you said, maybe someone mislabelled but you know what should be in the collection or other cases.
But in this case there is absolutely nothing to tell you where it came from: bought in the garden center, no producer named (nothing at all, no name, no country) and no name. So this will stay NOID.
Gabi_Munich
Senior

Postby Basti30 » December 20th, 2017, 11:24 am

Dear Gabi, I usually think so too with the plants from the garden market that they are with me as a NoID because they can not always be assigned to 100% without label but since I worked in the ornamental field I know these varieties for the most part come from Holtkamp. The Seine sells to other nurseries in Germany which then come onto the market. Häusler, for example, buys these varieties and markets them. (I've learned from personal interviews with Holtkamp.) Only give the dealer the variety name in the marketing, unfortunately, not further why they then unread the customer arrive
Basti30

{ IMAGES }: 0

Postby Gabi_Munich » December 20th, 2017, 11:54 pm

Basti, you are right most violets come from the same producers. Yes, there is a high probability that it's the variety but one will never know for sure with this blue-white NOID (because there was no piece of info on it). On the other hand, I had once a pot without name, but at least Humako was mentioned on the pot. In that case, I searched on the Humako website and found the variety (there was no doubt, it was very clear). Then I kept it under the variety's name because I knew it was coming from Humako. I hope I could express myself clearly.
Gabi_Munich
Senior

Postby Michaela » December 26th, 2017, 2:54 pm

I agree with Basti. It is the Optimara Chico, chimeric sport. In OBI market they sell lot of Optimara Chico, there is always a chimeric sport among them. You can see it on the photo from Holtkamp.

Michaela

{ IMAGES }: 1

Postby olivia » December 27th, 2017, 4:45 pm

I think Gabi was quite clear and we should respect her decision.
olivia

Return to NOID African violets