NK-Sofiya Rotaru (N. Kozak)

NK-Sofiya Rotaru (N. Kozak)

Postby olivia » March 22nd, 2018, 4:31 pm

NK-Sofoya Rotaru (N.Kozak)
Large, airy, terry flowers are wine-red with black shades on the edges of the petals. Compact variegated rosette. Contrast and elegance

НК-София Ротару (Н.Козак)
Крупные , воздушные, махровые цветы винно-красного цвета с чёрными затемнениями на краях лепестков . Компактная пестролистная розетка. Контрастно и нарядно

No artificial light was used. Who needs blossom when the plant has such a neat and lovely foliage?!

olivia

Re: NK Sofiya Rotaru (N. Kozak)

Postby Basti30 » March 23rd, 2018, 12:28 am

A Beauty super:
Basti30

{ IMAGES }: 0

Re: NK-Sofiya Rotaru (N. Kozak)

Postby olivia » April 3rd, 2018, 10:36 am

I'm glad you like it, Basti.
olivia

Postby illustrator » April 5th, 2018, 11:53 pm

Nice plant, I love how the leaves grow with three at the same time (in whorls, as they say botanically). this character differs in different cultivars, leaves can also be opposite (S. pendula has this) or one by one, arranged in a spiral. I am not sure how many hybridisers pay attention to this, but for this plant, the outcome is cool.
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

{ IMAGES }: 53

Postby olivia » April 6th, 2018, 12:27 pm

As far as I know, the three leaves in a row of an African violet form (or at least, should form) an Isosceles triangle. Are there any violets with a spiral formation?
They say that Americans are more focused on the symmetry of the foliage than the Russians are.
But I don't really blame the hybridizers when I find a violet with deformed foliage. If I don't like it, I don't buy it. Or if I already have it, I don't propagate it. The variety would go extinct if people didn't want it.
I think we should all try to be more selective. I know, we all keep some varieties for sentimental reasons. But there are far too many varieties out there for us to hold on to some varieties that are not great. I know it's hard to do that.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry wrote about the special place a plant has in our heart when we take care of it.
"It's the time you spent on your rose that makes your rose so important...People have forgotten this truth, but you mustn't forget it. You become responsible forever for what you've tamed. You're responsible for your rose.” (The Little Prince)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPSONX3uFcs
olivia

Postby illustrator » April 6th, 2018, 8:28 pm

Pixie Pink has a spiral formation, maybe this is more specific for some trailers?

I agree that there are too many cultivars, but I also think that we should very carefully keep all species clones, because together they contain the natural variation which is (besides mutations) the basis for further hybridising :) Also, since all the species clones are to some extend endangered in nature, we may one day find that the plants on our shelves are the only ones left.
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

Postby olivia » April 18th, 2018, 3:38 pm

I've never thought about the format leaves grow. conf: Maybe you'll think about writing about it. great:
When I said "selective", I wasn't referring to species.
I find it useful when people point out the negative aspects of varieties. I try not to propagate varieties that I find with flaws. Or if I still keep such a variety, I usually mention what I don't like about it.
But this habit of mine is not always appreciated. Some may get upset when I say something negative. Maybe they don't make a difference between the variety as a whole and their particular plant. I criticize the variety, not their plant which I'm sure they love deeply.
And again about new topics. I couldn't find a topic about the types of fantasy, pufs, streaks and so on. Could anybody help me clarify the terms? Thank you!
olivia

Postby illustrator » April 20th, 2018, 9:45 am

I am not sure if anyone tried to split all different ways in which an African violet flower can be "spotted". I am convinced that there are several mutations behind "fantasy". For instance, pink flowers with violet spots must have a different genetic background from violet flowers with white spots. Pink/violet is likely a difference in acidity within cells. Violet/white must be presence/absence of pigment.

It is the same with the term "wasp", which is used for at least two different ways in which petals look narrow and long: corollas which are split to the middle (most "wasps", often together with bustle-back leaves) and elongated petals (like in Lunar Lily White, never together with bustle-back leaves).

"Spider" is even more vague, but seems to be used for a wasp+star flower.
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

Postby olivia » April 25th, 2018, 5:56 pm

Wow, you know so many things! great:
I'm sorry, I don't think I've made myself understood. I'm interested in knowing and understanding the English terms when it comes to the description of the violets with fantasy. There are a few terms which describe the spots. I think that the tiny spots are called specks whereas the lines are called streaks.
olivia

Postby Gabi_Munich » April 26th, 2018, 9:20 pm

yes, Illustrator has great knowledge, it is always interesting to discuss with him. I do not have that kind of knowledge so please tell us more great:
Gabi_Munich
Senior

{ IMAGES }: 9

Return to Cultivars M-O