Paul's Wild Beginning

Paul's Wild Beginning

Postby illustrator » May 18th, 2015, 9:17 pm

This is not a registered plant, but it is also not a NOID: it is my very own named hybrid! I grew this plant very much on purpose so that it looks like a wild (species) violet. And because it can be confused with a wild plant, I'd rather not give it away. I intend to use this plant for further hybridising. I want to grow wild-like violets with different flower colours and this is the first step: I crossed a pink flowering plant (Pixie Pink) with a wild one (S. intermedia) and of the seedlings I kept this one, which I like most. It is very close to S. intermedia, but it differs in one important characteristic: it carries the gene for pink flowers from it's cultivar parent. Last year I self-fertilized some of it's flowers and I now have a whole number tiny violets which have a long way to grow. I gave this plant a name because it is easier to remember than a number, and it is fun to have my own named violet variety anim:
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

{ IMAGES }: 53

Re: Paul's Wild Beginning

Postby Birgitt » May 19th, 2015, 12:27 am

Congratulations Paul happy02: happy02:
Your variety is very beautiful.

illustrator wrote:.................................... It is very close to S. intermedia, but it differs in one important characteristic: it carries the gene for pink flowers from it's cultivar parent..................................

Yes, the plant (leaves) it looks like Saintpaulia intermedia.
Birgitt

Postby illustrator » May 19th, 2015, 7:27 pm

That's why I don't want to give this one away, it can be mixed up very easily. If anyone is interested in such a plant, I rather give the real S. intermedia.

I hope that I can grow a similar plant with pink flowers, and that pink one I will give away if someone likes it :D

p.s. in the pots behind my plant is the real S. intermedia.
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

Postby Birgitt » May 19th, 2015, 8:03 pm

illustrator wrote:..........................................

I hope that I can grow a similar plant with pink flowers ...............................

I keep my fingers crossed.
Saintpaulia intermedia with pink flowers - a beautiful thought. love:
Birgitt

Postby Gabi_Munich » May 19th, 2015, 11:26 pm

Good luck for your hybridizing projects!
Gabi_Munich
Senior

{ IMAGES }: 9

Postby illustrator » June 15th, 2015, 9:01 pm

Some plants I crossed it with:

Decorum Bicolor (kwekerij Vlasman) because of the thumbprint pattern and overall nice blue-violet colour

Inova Spectra Star (Humako) because of the eye-pattern

Inova Spectra Olivia (Humako) because of the watermark pattern

I now have seedpods of all these crosses. In the long term (second generation) the combination of the thumbprint and eye pattern could theoretically give a plant with all white flowers and leaves with a red reverse.

The watermark pattern is very interesting to combine with thumbprints, but I don't know how the watermark pattern inherits ...

So I am just playing with plants :lool:
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

Postby Birgitt » June 16th, 2015, 12:41 am

illustrator wrote:.................

The watermark pattern is very interesting to combine with thumbprints, but I don't know how the watermark pattern inherits ...

Dear Paul,
I am also very excited and look forward to further reports from you. great:
Birgitt

Postby illustrator » June 16th, 2015, 5:56 pm

that will not be soon, my plants grow slooooowly :roll:
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

Postby Birgitt » June 19th, 2015, 7:54 pm

Why is that :?:
Birgitt

Postby illustrator » June 20th, 2015, 3:42 pm

Because I grow them in natural light they grow much more slowly than those under artificial light. Also, my growing conditions are relatively cold.
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

Postby Birgitt » June 22nd, 2015, 12:12 am

Paul, there is a reason why your growing conditions are relatively cold?
Birgitt

Postby illustrator » June 22nd, 2015, 9:06 pm

I live at 750 meter altitude and nights are cold here. This morning it was 4'C outside. Also my house is not warming up as much as houses in the lowland do. I grow in natural (indirect) light, so there are no electric lights providing warmth either. But it is not so cold, probably 20 or 22'C at daytime and down to 16'C at night on the place where I have violets. This is still colder than most growers, I think. I have some problems growing S. grandifolia, perhaps for this lowland species my growing conditions are too cold. On the other hand, highland species like S. intermedia, S. shumensis and S. velutina are doing great! This is also why I used S. intermedia as one of my parent plants to start hybridising, besides that I very much like the red reverse with pale veins on the leaves.
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

Postby Birgitt » June 22nd, 2015, 10:16 pm

illustrator wrote:................... probably 20 or 22'C at daytime and down to 16'C at night on the place where I have violets. ...............

Hello Paul,

It is also the same with me.
My African Violet's plants and cuttings have to cope with temperatures of 20 or 22'C, the night temperatures are with me often to the 14'C or 18'C . This morning (23.06.2015) it was 18°C.
OK. In summer, temperatures even in the nights 23'C. to 27'C can be hot, when the day was very hot.
In winter also have to cope with winter temperatures when I Vent (all doors and windows are opened simultaneously).
It often happens that some varieties with these growth conditions can not cope. You get mildew or gray mold or / and do not want to grow.

For example ЕК-Белая Королева / EK-Belaya Koroleva has airing (pulling) and when it was too cold not tolerate. On the same day she had two leaves gray mold (Botrytis cinerea, Syn .: Botryotinia fuckeliana) .Since it occurred again and again, it was appropriate for the growing conditions, which I could not give her.

Only the strongest plants (varieties ) be left over. ;)
Birgitt

Return to Cultivars P-R