Saintpaulia goetzeana

Saintpaulia goetzeana

Postby illustrator » May 9th, 2018, 10:09 pm

Saintpaulia goetzeana

This is a small plant, one of the smallest of all violets. I don't have it for very long, so my experience is limited. It grows slow. More later, if it survives ...

Some general info about this plant: when you look at the distribution of African violets you find that most occur in the Usambara mountains and in the nrarby coastal plain. These form a group of related plants: S. ionantha and close relatives, including S. shumensis and S. orbicularis.

There are also African violets in separate mountains, these are less related to the others which fit with an isolation over a longer geological timespan.

S. teitensis and S. rupicola occur north of the S. ionantha group.

S. brevipilosa and S. nitida occur more to the south.

Even more to the south, in the Uluguroi mountains, there is a further group of species, which differ most from all others. These aren't well known and are hardly grown in collections: S. ulugurensis (only in Edingburgh botanical garden), S. watkinsii (not in collections), S. afroviola (= pusilla)(not in collections) and S. inconspiqua (probably not in collections). S. goetzeana belongs to this southern group from the Ulunguru mountains.

S. goetzeana grows at a higher altitude than the species which we know better. According to literature, it needs lower temperatures to flower (below 10'C at night) and is sensitive to constant high temperatures. It also needs a higher humidity, so it is probably best to grow it under cover. Then, the information quickly stops.

I obtained a small cutting a couple of months ago. It barely survived postage because of a severe cold spell and a long transport (heat pack stopped working after a few days). I now have some small cuttings which I planted on tuff rock and in local clayish soil. I have good results with these methods with other small delicate violets, but it is a gamble if it works with goetzeana. The one on the picture is on the piece of rock for a couple of weeks and still looks good. It has continued to grow on the rock, which gives me some hope.
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

{ IMAGES }: 53

Re: Saintpaulia goetzeana

Postby Gabi_Munich » May 10th, 2018, 1:39 am

wish you good luck - would be great if the plant continues to thrive
Gabi_Munich
Senior

{ IMAGES }: 9

Re: Saintpaulia goetzeana

Postby olivia » May 11th, 2018, 5:02 pm

I can't see the picture. sad: Even when I'm logged in. conf: