Hello!

All new members can introduce herself/himself here.
Forum rules
Please put in the following information:
* Name
* City/Country

* Introduction

Please do not post your email address here!

Hello!

Postby Elina » October 22nd, 2016, 6:36 pm

Hello! My name is Elina and I am a grower/seller/buyer from Vilnius (Lithuania). I am interested in gesneriads (mainly, african violets). The growing collection of houseplants has made my requirements much stricter. Frankly speaking, I don’t know, how many plants I have at the moment. I 've got rid of varieties, that failed to meet my new requirements. My dream - to collect not only the most beautiful, but easy to grow under normal home conditions african violets. In my opinion, some strange varieties, that are not happy to live together with their owners, can't be called «houseplants». They should be called «greenhouseplants» or «breedersplants». :)
Elina

Re: Hello!

Postby Gabi_Munich » October 23rd, 2016, 11:55 pm

Hello Elina,

great that you found our forum, welcome!

I also prefer the easy to grow varieties - usually the African violets have to stand the sometimes hard growing conditions in my apartment (hot in summer ... especially when I am gone for a few days, sudden cold periods in autumn while windows stay open while I am gone.....).

Happy growing,
Gabi
Gabi_Munich
Senior

{ IMAGES }: 9

Postby galeandra » October 27th, 2016, 12:00 am

Hi Elina,
Welcome to the forum. You must have an amazing collection of gesneriads.
galeandra

Postby illustrator » January 16th, 2017, 10:23 pm

We had an interesting discussion on facebook some time ago and it seems that many hybridizers feel that their own varieties perform best for them. This is probably because they are the plants which are (subconsciously) selected to grow under their specific circumstances. Simply put: the seedlings that do best and grow fastest are more likely to be kept until flowering. Plants which perform well for one grower may not do so well in another house. This, you can only find out by trial and error. Or by growing your own plants from seed :mrgreen:
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

{ IMAGES }: 53

Return to Introduction