Vintage question

Vintage question

Postby illustrator » June 19th, 2011, 11:38 pm

Hi all,

I wonder if there is a really old Strept. variety (50 year or older?) which is still possible to order as small plants and which you can recommend?

I looking at this for my job, where we have a replica of a small old farmhouse. In the windows there were the "common" Pelargoniums, but our goats have jumped over their fence and have eaten them (again). So I need to keep the windows closed and switch to an indoor plant species. This should have attractive flowers and should also NOT be a violet (because there's a fully flowering pot with violets already and I already plan on a second variety of violets - 2 violet varieties is more than enough here).

I am thinking about Constant Nymph, but haven't grown this variety myself. Experiences welcome.

Paul
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

{ IMAGES }: 55

Re: Vintage question

Postby Valkiria » July 15th, 2011, 7:09 pm

Paul, I haven't heard of any vintage variety in Romania, but we have some streptocarpuses obtaind from seeds, which are very easy growing, no special treatments, very floriferous.

Here it is, if you would be interested, we can arrange that in autumn.
And if I will obtain some information about vintage varieties of streptocarpuses, I'll let you know.

Valkiria
Senior

Postby illustrator » July 16th, 2011, 7:34 pm

I ordered Constant Nymph and Maasens White from Dibleys. Constant Nymph is the oldest named/registered Streptocarpus and Maasens White is an albino (and vintage) sport of Constant Nymph.
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

{ IMAGES }: 55

Postby botan » May 18th, 2012, 11:44 pm

Diana, the plant you showed looks like Weismoore Blue, what do you think? confused:
botan

Postby Valkiria » May 25th, 2012, 11:46 am

Botan, there are so many blue Streptocarpus, that I even don't think about identifying it. Even more, mine is from some seeds obtained from USA some years ago.
Valkiria
Senior

Return to Cultivation