Hybridizing - choosing parents

Hybridizing - choosing parents

Postby botan » August 16th, 2013, 2:06 am

It seems Kohleria is the most challenging genus to work with from the most commonly grown gesneriads. There are a lot of varieties with sterile anthers and with the attempt to gather a good collection to start crossing with we may end up having plants that can be used only as a mother or too little plants that can be used as fathers, like in my case. So I will make only 2 columns for now (I'll be very surprised to find variety that can be used only as father). Of course it could be just my bad luck, but still I think it will be good to have that kind of listing.

Mother:
    An's Nagging Macaws
    Heartland's Blackberry Butterfly
    Queen Victoria
    Rongo
    Sunshine
    Texas Rainbow

Father & mother:
    The red eriantha hybrid
    One that awfully looks like Bibbi, but I don't have the real to compare

So help me expand the list and good luck to the new Kohleria hybridizers. :mrgreen:
botan

Re: Hybridizing - choosing parents

Postby Valkiria » August 18th, 2013, 8:56 am

Botan, I have more few varieties. I will closer look at their flower parts.
Can you show some pictures, when you will have time, to set us clear what means mother and what means father.
Valkiria
Senior

Postby botan » August 18th, 2013, 12:12 pm

It easy, the "fathers" have well developed pollen sacs and usually, the 4 functioning stamens that kohleria have are forming something like shield with them. The "mothers" have only the filaments that should hold the anthers or the anthers they have are little and not producing pollen, also because of their small sizes it's very unlikely to form shield.
Sorry I don't have fresh flowers but I made pictured with old ones where the stamens are parched.
Rongo:
The eventual Bibbi:
For bigger pictures click on image and then on the loupe icon in the right upper angle.
botan

Postby Valkiria » August 18th, 2013, 11:15 pm

I've just looked on some of mine. I have seen for sure some pollen sacs on Sunshine and on HCY's Jardin de Monet. I will try some pictures tomorrow. I think those flowers were the most fresh one, opened recently. Not all the flowers of these hybrids have pollen sacs.
Valkiria
Senior

Return to Culitvation