Cyclamen mites

Re: Cyclamen mites

Postby botan » September 14th, 2012, 9:00 am

Whaw, I'm very impressed. I live in apartment full of flowers, and the chemicals turn out to be not very effective because always some pest will hide somewhere and will pop up later with an army from themselves, also in the winter I can't open the window for a long time for the stinch to escape so that is very very good option. Pitty that they don't sell in whole Europe.
Because these are a lots of money for me, I'm more curious how to keep them alive if I had some after their food run out.

I thought that collembolas are harmful, aren't they? conf:
botan

Postby Christiane » September 14th, 2012, 11:15 pm

I had to look, what collembolas are. In google i found, that's springtails. They are not harmfull, if there are not to many of them. But if they have to reproduce to much, they eat the roots of the plants and kill them. But that's only the case, if you have to much of them. Normally they aren't harmfull for the plants because they eat the dead parts of the plants and roots.
Christiane

{ IMAGES }: 11

Postby Valkiria » September 18th, 2012, 4:11 pm

I also knew that they are not harmful if kept under control, but they are annoying.

Springtails are microscopic insects that contribute to the life of the soil food web. They grow to an average of 1/32 inch in length. Their taillike appendage, known as a furcula, snaps to the ground and causes them to spring in the air and down again. Springtails play an important role in creating healthy soil by feeding on decaying plants, which creates humus. They eat bacteria and fungi on plants, mineralizing some of their contents. The minerals are distributed by the springtails' movement through the soil and are taken up by growing plants. Up to 250 million individual springtails live in 1 acre of soil.

Read more: Microscopic Insects in Garden Soil | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_8411408_micros ... z26pHqLmxU

http://www.ehow.com/info_8411408_micros ... -soil.html

But, lets open a separate topic for these insects.
Valkiria
Senior

Postby daniel.edmondson » October 14th, 2012, 4:00 pm

Avid EC Miticide:The active ingredient in Avid EC Miticide is Abamectin. Abamectin has ability to move
through the leaf tissue, allowing you to only treat the tops of the leaf.
Forbid 4F Miticide The active ingredient in Forbid 4F Miticide is Spiromesifen. Spiromesifen is a newer
class of miticide (tetramic acid), but not new. It also has the ability to move through the leaf
tissue. It is a wide spectrum growth inhibiter. I t is more effective against the egg and nymph
stages

They are very effective with Cyclamen mites you add them to water with a little soap to help them get down into the crowns They are very costly ,but you can find them on e-bay 1/4 oz. $20.00 us dollars. but that will make about 10 gallons of spray

Also NEOSEIULUS CALIFORNICUS predators mities feed on Cyclamen mites. I live in the Dessert South West and mites are terrible here so I buy the predators mities out of a company in Calf, but there are several company in Holland that sell them also. They grow so many flowers under glass there If you goggle search predators mities/ dutch I think you will find them.
NEOSEIULUS CALIFORNICUS predators mities lay their egg among the Cyclamen mites eggs and when they hatch the are hunger and the start eating the Cyclamen mites eggs. the adults also feed on Cyclamen mites . They need to be used before you see the Cyclamen mites as a preventive step it takes them about 6 weeks to have a large enough population to control the Cyclamen mites . I pay $20.00 Us and I get enough to do my 2 plant racks each with 4 shelves 48 in long. they come mixed with sawdust which you sprinkly over your plants. I used them after I had sprayed 2 times and I have not had any problems in over a year.
daniel.edmondson

Postby Laci » October 14th, 2012, 10:01 pm

Daniel, here in Europe we don't have that much wide variety of supplies :(
There are some products which could eliminate mites you just have to water your plant with it, but this product are not available for most of the people. If you want to buy them you have to take an exam (which cost around 200 dollars) and then you will be permitted to buy it.

I hope one day we'll have such supply that you have there in the USA.
Laci
Senior

{ IMAGES }: 1

Postby daniel.edmondson » October 14th, 2012, 10:33 pm

You can go on online ( Internet)--- to eBay and find them. then the person selling them to you would ship them through the postoffice . I know that it would cost to ship , but the 2 sprays are very good .
You might Google search on the on line (internet) CAPE COD VIOLETRY it is a small store on line sells thing you need to grow African violets .

I have gone on line (internet) and got African violet leaves from a women in Poland and she shipped them to me It cost me$26.00 and it took 10 days, but the leaves lived and I now have 5 Russian
violet in my collection After I posted I went through more of the post you have on line and some one there had a post for a company selling the NEOSEIULUS CALIFORNICUS predators mities there in Europe
Last edited by daniel.edmondson on October 22nd, 2012, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daniel.edmondson

Postby daniel.edmondson » October 14th, 2012, 10:44 pm

I forgot to say here in the US it is the same . If you want to buy them you have to take an exam and then you will get a permitted to buy it. But when You buy on line most of the companies do not ask to see your permit.They just ship them to you and tell you that in most States you need a permit to use the products. I don t have a permit and I found company on E bay that sold me forbid with no problem . Hard part was finding a compay that would sell it in small amounts. 8 oz. cost $98.00 ( US dollars) , but I found them on line and they sold me 1/2oz for $20.00 ( US dollars)
Last edited by daniel.edmondson on October 22nd, 2012, 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daniel.edmondson

Postby maki01 » October 16th, 2012, 6:35 pm

Thanks for sharing Daniel :D
maki01

{ IMAGES }: 0

Postby Elena » October 16th, 2012, 10:31 pm

Daniel, you are a great source of information! I live in Croatia and could not find a supplier for the Cyclamen mites killers here, but my daughter lives near Boston, and she could buy them for me. Do you know if the killer mites can be brought to another country?

I've recently had a first encounter with Cyclamen mites, and I wouldn't like that to happen again! So far I've used various miticides I've been able to buy in the region, but I don't like using chemicals. Also, I've read that Cyclamen mites can develop resistance after several treatments.
Elena

Postby avisrapax » October 18th, 2012, 12:59 am

Just please remember that there is a reason that restricted chemicals are restricted and be careful when using them if you must :?
avisrapax

Postby Laci » October 18th, 2012, 2:26 am

These chemicals that I'm talking about is free to buy everywhere within the EU except Hungary :-)
All of these products should be used by restricted care, but I think it's only about making more money.
Laci
Senior

{ IMAGES }: 1

Postby Christiane » June 18th, 2015, 5:20 pm

Do anyone have experiences with miticides - especially Vertimec?
Yesterday i made a try with a spider and i noticed that it doesn't died after spraying vertimec to it. I finished the used solution before approximately 10 - 12 days. Can it be that it looses it's efficiency if it's not fresh? I save it in a dark cabinet in room temperature.

Is it only efficient if i use it only fresh made at the same day?

I guess that i have to capture a spider again for a try with fresh mixed vertimec?! That would decklare to myself that my earlier tries to fight against the mites wasn't effective with Vertimec - and now i used it in a much higher concentration - but it was ever fresh made. In my first treatments in 2012 Vertimec wasn't ever fresh made - but it was never older than 14 days and it was saved dark.
Christiane

Postby Delph » June 30th, 2015, 7:55 pm

I used Imidacloprid on small seedlings purchased by ... X .. and arrive home with parasites of roots called Rhizoecus americanus and I had very good response. I have used on my adult plants for prevention and I had no surprise! This insecticide is good for cyclamen mites!
Delph

Postby Christiane » July 20th, 2015, 5:13 pm

Dear Delph, i was searching for informations about Imidiacloprid into the www. It is possible that it will work against mites too. But it is very harmful for honey bees and it might be one big reason for the ceasing of the bees.
I have asked another collectors who use Vertimec and they told me that i have to use the solution only fresh made at the same day. The concentration is durable for some month. It should be stored dark and cool - but not to cold - not in a refrigerator. But the last sentence was already known.
Vertimec is a harmful poison too but it is fast degradable.
Christiane

Postby gailsxfire » February 11th, 2018, 5:38 pm

So I am thinking to try one of the mite insecticides, can these insecticides be absorbed through the skin by contact with the plant after treatment?
gailsxfire

Postby illustrator » March 16th, 2018, 6:04 pm

Cyclamen mites can not stand heat. Once you know it, the treatment is simple, but a lot of work.

Take leaf cuttings. Put all the leaves in water of 40'C for 15 minutes. Plant the leaves. Put them on a shelf far away from any infected plant. Grow out new plantlets.

In principle, you can also put the whole plants on 40'C, but this is difficult to do with a pot full of soil!

No pesticides needed. And, this was already known for many decades ...
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

{ IMAGES }: 53

Postby Gabi_Munich » March 16th, 2018, 9:55 pm

That sounds like a great solution - just putting the leaves in warm water.
Gabi_Munich
Senior

{ IMAGES }: 9

Postby illustrator » March 16th, 2018, 10:47 pm

it works
Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

{ IMAGES }: 53

Postby Basti30 » August 3rd, 2018, 7:54 am

In the fight against broad mites and cyclamen mites I have had good experiences with the use of spiromisifen. These remedies are known as Forbid or Oberon. These agents damage the mites in your protein balance that they can not reproduce and die within 6 days, also Forbid is the only means which also eggs and nymphs damaged other means are for the larval stages and eggs ineffective why so easy to be treated.
Basti30

Previous

Return to Diseases and Pests